• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Meth Labs Stigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

niaelm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I am looking for data regarding homes with stigma- Meth Lab

Robert Gonsalves

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I am not sure if your going to find any hard data on this stigma. To start, I would try calling local realtors in your area and seeing if you can get any feedback. You may want to check the recent reply to your OP and see if any of those siezed meth labs are in your area and if they sold afterward contact the listing agent. Also local police department.

If not, here is a comment I copied from this forum in the past about a death, not sure of his/her name that posted it, or I would give them full credit. I think if you can't find any data on recent meth labs affecting marketability and value this may suffice changing death to meth lab of course.

The stigma is an intangible external adverse condition on the desirability of that property due to the association of murder with that property that has diminished or reduced its good feeling as a place to live. This intangible adverse condition associating the property with murder is psychological and curable but the best way to cure it is to reverse that association. There is no hard data available to this appraiser on market reaction to such places.
For example, have some nice people live there for a while so the property will be associated with nice, friendly people or change the composite of the structure like new paint, new improvement, demolishing, or anything that can change that association or create a new association.
-Just state the facts in the addendum along with comments on there not being any hard data on market reaction to such places.
Hope this helps;
Robert G.

daven

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Dakota
niaelm,

I just went through exactly what you are asking about. I posted here originally looking for answers and it was moved to the "newbie" section. So go there and read the posts. The post is titled something like... "How to appriase former clandestine labratories". I learned soo much about this in the past 3-4 weeks and am willing to discuss what I learned, but first read that post. Sorry, I am new to the forum and don't know how to post the direct link.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Our local appraisers group had a 2 hour CE class on meth labs. Conclusion....stay the hell out of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks