• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Metroscan data/plat maps into ACI forms on WinXP computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Klinger

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I have also posted this to the Technical - Hardware/Software Forum, but thought that my problem may be specific to my ACI software.

I am setting up a new computer but am having a problem with the exporting of public record data and plat maps in combination with my Windows XP operating system. I had no problems exporting public record data and plat maps to my ACI forms reports on my old computer (runs Windows 98) utilizing Metroscan (First American Real Estate Solutions) CD and online products. However, according to First American Real Estate Solutions Tech Support, they do not have any product that functions as well (or fully) in the Windows XP environment. Their assessor plat maps and data pages are of poor quality when exported to my ACI map pages on my WinXP machine. ACI tech support said that they have had no calls from users with problems putting Metroscan plat maps and assessor data pages into ACI reports on WinXP computers (really????).

Do any ACI users have experience with First American Real Estate Solutions products in combination with ACI forms on a Windows XP computer? Is there a Way to improve the quality of exported maps and assessor data pages in ACI forms reports?

Rather than replace the WinXP operating system, I would rather find a new source for public record data. What other public record/plat map products are there that work well in combination with WinXP and ACI (I have version 8.1.1.zzz)? Are you satisfied with the clarity of the exported images/pages?

Susan Herm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Pennsylvania
We use a First American Real Estate Solutions product called Win2Data 2000. I haven't had any problems inserting the plot plans into ACI, but we use W2k Professional. We are also running ACI v8.2.0.zzz so there may be some issue there. I know that there is web-based access to the data for Win2Data, maybe that might help.
Good Luck!

sos

Professional Status
State
Florida
I use WIN2000 data with ACI 8.1x and WinXP. For the plat maps, I save the page and open it in a graphics program. (Paintshop Pro or Photoshop) Then cut the portion I need and copy to the clipboad. I click on a blank map page and paste. It produces a very clear copy. ACI is very simple to use with copy and paste. The file size is also smaller because you are including only a portion of the page. Hope this helps.

Aaron Klinger

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
In previous posts, I had asked for help placing my Metroscan Plat Maps and Data Pages in to my ACI software on my new computer with the Windows XP operating system. I got many replies and good suggestions. Most of those suggestions were to manipulate the exported Metroscan file in photo editing software or Windows Paint, etc. I attempted those things and they didn't work for me initially. However, there was an underling problem that I was unaware of at the time.

That problem involved a file association of my .tif files with eFax Messenger (I have internet faxing software). I don't understand all of the interactions of file associations (really, I don't understand much of it), but once I reassociated the .tif files from Metroscan with my photo imaging software (ArcSoft PhotoStudio) I was able to edit the files and save them to .gif files which inserted into my ACI software and provided reasonable maps and data page quality. The image quality is still not as good as Metroscan exports in earlier Windows versions (Win98 on my other machine), and many extra steps are required. However, I can get the maps etc. into my WinXP machine now and I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Now if Metroscan would just update their software so that one could Export files directly in WinXP, without the file manipulation in other graphics programs. Their tech support folks recognize the problem with their software in WinXP, and I have requested that they update their software to the current operating systems. Their software is not cheap, and they must have other customers with WinXP operating systems. If anyone else has a similar Metroscan and WinXP problem, maybe additional calls for help would move them along.

Regarding ACI tech support - I have had mixed experiences with them (from caring techs who think about a problem to those who only want to get rid of my call or emails and evidently don't spend 30 seconds on the problem). Do any of you know if we can ask for specific ACI techs by name, and if so, who are some of the better ACI techs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks