• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Microsoft Access Gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobie

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I've been running my database on MS Access 2.0 (don't laugh, I know it's old) since the early 90's. Recently bought a new computer and have Access 2003 installed. Tried transferring the database file but it's "read only".

Can I get this database transferred so that it's a working version and not just read only.

PLCG

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Scott,
I don't really use Access much so I don't know about that. However, I have noticed I get this message when I try to move a file from a CD to the computer. Are you using a CD to transfer the database? If so, click on "properties" on the CD. You can change it from "read only" there.

dobie

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Scott,
I don't really use Access much so I don't know about that. However, I have noticed I get this message when I try to move a file from a CD to the computer. Are you using a CD to transfer the database? If so, click on "properties" on the CD. You can change it from "read only" there.

No it's more than that. It recognizes it as an old version and it actually directs me to a MS download that is supposed to fix the problem but that didn't work or I did something wrong.

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Right click on the actual database file on your HD or CD/DVD (should be an .MDB?) and then click on properties. If it is not checked as "read only" then the issue is not that it is read only, it is more likely a version compatibility issue. If it is marked as read only, uncheck that option and hit "OK". You likely won't be able to change the read-only status if the database is on a CD or DVD AND you use Win XP or newer. Win XP and newer (AFAIK) still don't support packet writing in optical drives (true rewritable optical) like Win98SE did. You'll have to copy it to a HD before you can change file attributes in those cases.

If it is not "read only" when you check the properties, then you are going to have to "import" or "convert" it to the "newer" Access format instead of just trying to open it. Should be options for importing or converting in the "File" menu. If you have to import or convert it, you may also have to re-write your front end if you coded a custom interface for it. The boxes and buttons may still be there, but likely not in the correct places.

deturner

Professional Status
State
Kansas
You could try to create a new database and import all the tables, queries, etc....

This may work if you don't have a bunch of relationships set up. Probably would not work if it's a very complicated database.

PS: I use Access all the time and create my own "applications" with it.

DaveT in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks