• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

minimum ceiling heights for FHA appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gil5ctless

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I am appraising an older home with a ceiling height at 6 feet 4 inches.

Is there a minimum for FHA acceptance?

Daniel R. Fairchild

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
6'-4'' ceilings

I believe the Subject may have a problem. If you are calculating living area using ANSI standards, you may only include rooms with a ceiling height of 7 foot, and the room must have 7' height for a least 50% of the entire room, for it to be counted at all. ANSI Z765-2003 states you may count the sloped ceiling down to 5'. Any area of a given room which does not offer at least a 5' ceiling may not be included. 6'-4'' is excepted in areas such as beams, ductwork, etc. and the entire ceiling may not be at this level. FHA/HUD does nto specifiy that ANSI standards must be adheared to though.
For FHA, the Subjects issues may lie in the category of quality, the Subject may have a lower than desired quality rating of ''fair'' or ''poor'', which may be a 'deal-slayer' anyway. The reduced marketability may also be able to be fitted into the ''functionality'' category, as this residence would not function for many adults, including myself. At 6' tall, I would need to duck my head going through a door, I can only assume. Lighting or ceiling fans could be dangerous, which could be an FHA saftey issue. You were there, not me.
Just the fact that you have found a residence constructed like this in your local area, suggests a market of some sort for a dwelling with low ceilings. On the other hand, you must find it unusal, or you would not have asked the question. I have been reading through my HUD/FHA documents, and they don't appear to have a minimum ceiling hieght requirement. CLEARLY state it and adjust for it. You are the appraiser and you must know in your heart/mind why you did what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks