• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Minimum Heating Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I recently looked at an older home that has been extensively remodeled. New baths, new kitchen, new pellet stove. The primary heat source was a series of little square wall heaters, rated at 475 watts each and just plugged in. Other than the pellet stove there was no other heat source. Since it was 100 degrees outside the day I looked at this property I could not really test the system.

I don't think this meets code or the requirement for a permanent heat source. I conditined my report on a certification from a heating/cooling engineer that this system was legal and sufficient to heat the house in the winter.

Lender wants the report changed to as-is with the suggestion that the heating be inspected. I am not comfortable doing this. Any thoughts?

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I recently looked at an older home that has been extensively remodeled. New baths, new kitchen, new pellet stove. The primary heat source was a series of little square wall heaters, rated at 475 watts each and just plugged in. Other than the pellet stove there was no other heat source. Since it was 100 degrees outside the day I looked at this property I could not really test the system.

I don't think this meets code or the requirement for a permanent heat source. I conditined my report on a certification from a heating/cooling engineer that this system was legal and sufficient to heat the house in the winter.

Lender wants the report changed to as-is with the suggestion that the heating be inspected. I am not comfortable doing this. Any thoughts?
"As is" would need the functional issue addressed and possibly an adverse adjustment from an opinion of value standpoint. Is it suitable for year round living?

The lender wants you to play games for them, in my opinion.

Riick

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Is this an FHA/VA or a Conventional loan??

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
55 degrees is a minimum, but with plug in heaters a big grey area IMM. Do they have thermostats? If not I think is not gonna make it. EBB heat controled by thermostats and directly connected to the walls would work for me but not seperate plug in units.....
What if you unplug them in the middle of a snow storm?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
What if you unplug them in the middle of a snow storm?
I suppose you could plug them back in if it got cold.

How cold does it get in New Mexico?

Certainly not cold enough to instantly freeze if a heater got unplugged. :icon_mrgreen:

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
You're right, a regional thing. Just talking about my market, it gets 10-20 below at times in the winter.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't think I would make it subject to, but definitely talk about it and how it affects marketability etc. Maybe recommend an inspection if I was worried about it. But if the only issue is you might get a little chilly at times, it's hard to imagine it's a big deal.

Pellet stove plus plug ins, sounds toasty. :peace:

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
It is a conventional loan. If it were FHA I would know exactly what to do. It can get cold here in the winter. Albuquerque is 5,000 feet plus in elevation. Single digits is not uncommon and days ar a time where the high does not exceed 32 degress is also fairly common.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
It is a conventional loan. If it were FHA I would know exactly what to do. It can get cold here in the winter. Albuquerque is 5,000 feet plus in elevation. Single digits is not uncommon and days ar a time where the high does not exceed 32 degress is also fairly common.
That's beyond chilly, imho. Brrr... :icon_lol:

Is the heating system as is acceptable to the typical buyer? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks