• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Missed Interior Photo. Can I Use MLS Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fargo1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Dakota
I think I know the answer here, but give me your input.

I missed taking a bathroom picture while viewing the house. I inspected the bathroom and have it in my notes. But when I was taking my pictures I missed it. Can I use the MLS photo of that room.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
The last time I experienced your situation, when I called the homeowner to set an appointment to go back and take a missing picture of the rec room, the homeowner offered to email me a photo. I accepted because the both of us had been in the room together, so I knew he knew that I had visually inspected the rec room.

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Apparently I was wrong. I thought the interior photos needed to be original photos. Thanks guys. Good to know.

In this case the property is vacant and I plan to just get the photo next week. But its good that I could have a homeowner email a photo if it happens again.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Apparently I was wrong. I thought the interior photos needed to be original photos. Thanks guys. Good to know.

In this case the property is vacant and I plan to just get the photo next week. But its good that I could have a homeowner email a photo if it happens again.

Not casting aspersions at digger....
But you may have noticed that only digger and I have responded...
And in like manner!!!!

You may get different answers from others....:)

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Not casting aspersions at digger....
But you may have noticed that only digger and I have responded...
And in like manner!!!!

Just to be clear, my returning to the property was not due to lack of trust in your answers. It just so happened that between my posting and your answers, the lender asked me to wait with my appraisal until after the results of home inspection were obtained. I told him the appraisal was done but I would return to the property to get the picture and I could make any comments regarding the inspection if needed. So my reason for not using the MLS photo at this point is due to having told the lender I would return to the property for the photo.

But if anyone else has a different opinion I'd still like to hear it for future reference.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It boils down to your client and the SOW

Most of my clients want/require original photos when possible; comps pics and subject pics

That said, some (especially private clients) don't care and MLS pics are fine

Others who want original pics, have been ok with me providing MLS pics for whatever reason (i.e. original photo was too blurry, etc) and in these cases I just comment accordingly

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
I had that happen a few months ago and I used the MLS photo of the dining room. I realize there is a small but vocal minority in this industry who consider this the same as sedition, treason or other high crimes, but hey, I'm just a humble goat roper. IMO the photo I used did not misrepresent anything about the subject and I did actually see the dining room. I consider that type of report to be something of a hybrid product since one photo out of 15 was not my own.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Some clients have also been ok with homeowner provided pics for certain rooms/parts of the house (i.e. side view)

Again, as long as that's communicated between yourself and your client, I think you're ok. Just make sure you disclose

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I had that happen a few months ago and I used the MLS photo of the dining room. I realize there is a small but vocal minority in this industry who consider this the same as sedition, treason or other high crimes, but hey, I'm just a humble goat roper. IMO the photo I used did not misrepresent anything about the subject and I did actually see the dining room. I consider that type of report to be something of a hybrid product since one photo out of 15 was not my own.

upload_2017-10-12_16-49-2.jpeg

Oh well.....
Bend over....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks