• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mixed feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent Arthur

Freshman Member
I tought the Fire service was hard to get in to! I live in Texas and the rules state, that you must be an appraiser trainee for 2000 hrs before you can be lic or cert to operate your own buisness. I do not have a probem with that it's a good process, but how do you convince a 10+ yr appraiser to take you on as a trainee? if that is only way to get statred in the business it's all most like robbing peter to pay paul.

Randy Beigh

Vincent

I'll take a stab at this.

You cannot convince someone to take you as a trainee if they don't want a trainee.

That means, look down the road. In other words, go elsewhere. There are, indeed, a limited number of companies who take trainees and that is where you need to look.

Frank Lostracco

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
It is not impossible, I did it 2 years ago. After I finished school I contacted
all the appraisers in the area with a formal letter explaining my situation.
I received an offer within 3 weeks.
Good Luck
Frank

ocvillas1

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California
Frank,

How were you able to get contact information for all appraisers in your area? Yellow Pages? Is the Office of Real Estate Appraisal in your state sharing this information? Any other ideas? - Thanks.

Shelley Holmquist

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Roxana,
You can go to OREA's website and do an appraiser search. It shows anyone in California who has a Lic (from trainee on up). You can narrow the search down to county, name, license level, etc....
Yellow pages are another way...
I just started calling off those two sources. Established appraisers were all very willing to talk to me and give me advice (though some were conflicting!)
Although, I found my mentor in a whole different way, I sure learned a lot!
Shelley

Vincent Arthur

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advice. I will consider these other options, but how do you convince people "let me help you to help me"?

Michael T. Hiester

Freshman Member
Vincent,

This has been discussed frequently on the forum. I encourage you to search the archives. It might answer some of your questions.

Briefly, I would tell you to make sacrifices and offer what others won't or can't. Show your potential mentor that you are in it for the long haul. No one wants to train the competition and two years later have them open a shop next door. I committed to staying with my mentor for at least 7 years or until he no longer needed/wanted me.

Keep a second job so you can take a lower fee split during your training. Supervisors have more time involved in training us newbies than if they did it themselves. I don't need to make a dime on appraising during my training. I know all aren't in this position, but I think it helped. I do get fee split, so I do make money, but the hours and experience are more important to me. I ride along on commericials even though I don't get paid, don't get hours, and don't really do any work. It is great exposure for later.

Find an appraiser that is nearing retirement. They might be more apt to take you on in the hopes of gradually retiring. My mentor is a nearing-retirement cert. general. As I become proficient in residential he focuses on his commercial assignments. When I start to look towards CR and CG, he will be my mentor for that as well, which he can do is a fulltime or semi-retired capacity.

Offer services that your mentor might not be able or willing to do. I am doing web page work for my office. I also freely volunteer to do grunt work like pulling records, doing rental analysis, office work, etc.

It took me many phone calls, emails, and office visits. What finally worked was a office visit, followed by a professional letter thanking him for his time and consideration. Several weeks later, when I thought he had forgotten me, he called saying "let's do it".

So in summary:

1. Make sacrifices (in time and pay)
2. Accept low fee split to compensate mentor for added time
3. Committ to the long term with a company
4. Be professional
5. Be persistant (but don't nag)
6. Be creative (offer what others don't)
7. Make an investment (in equipment & training)
8. Don't invest until you have a mentor!!!!!
9. Don't give up!!!
10. Don't give up!!!!

Hope that rambling helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks