• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mom And Pop. Can They Survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
We've lost some old time (50+ years) mom and pops these past few years.
We've also lost a bunch of start up, mom and pops

In this end of the county, all new commercial has been car dealerships and medical space.
Wait for the Ocare repeal, and watch all that medical space go belly up too.
We went from 2, yes 2 local doctor offices to almost 50k sf of new medical space in 5-7 years.
Middle of the county is still building retail, and a new hospital, while either side of the construction zone has sufficient vacancies that new space wasn't needed.

We got a new college, but the old one now sits vacant and the "old one" is less than 20 years old.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida

Don't blame Florida. Some areas of our county are almost getting blighted because of all the empty small shops. I almost said a couple, but almost all the strip malls are vacant. They would look better as vacant lots. The Mall is on its last legs as all the Majors have hauled *** for greener pastures. Most of this has occurred since the three Super Wally Worlds opened up, and Amazon became such a retail force. I don't use WM much, but Amazon and me are best buds. No point in driving all over the county looking for a dohicky when I can have it at my door with free shipping in a day or two.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
http://www.insidesources.com/rural-america-keeps-rejecting-big-wind/

rural America is increasingly diverging from the plastic urban life

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin signed a bill that puts an early end to lucrative tax credits that Big Wind was collecting in the Sooner state. The move will save the state about $500 million over the next decade.

In May, the Tennessee legislature passed a ban on new wind projects until July 2018. State legislators took action after Cumberland Mountains residents mounted furious objections to a proposed 23-turbine project that would have been built near the town of Crab Orchard.​

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina

The Northeastern exodus is particularly acute in many big cities like New York City. Since 2010, more than 1 million people have moved from the New York area — which includes parts of New Jersey, Connecticut and Long Island — to other parts of the country.

So why are so many Northerners packing their bags?

The insanely high cost

The jobs
Many companies are setting up shop in warm and less expensive places, which means that people pondering getting out of the Northeast can now find work. Texas, for example, has seen massive job growth since the recession — and some of these jobs are in fields you wouldn’t normally think of as being in Texas. For example, tech: Google, Apple, Dropbox and Oracle all recently built or expanded offices in Austin, along with many others.

People are not stupid.

Big ole Boy

Elite Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...s-what-really-explains-amazoncoms-share-price

I like using Amazon, but this entity gets like $1.50 subsidy from the Federal government for every package they mail. Amazon is clearly a monopoly like nothing the world has ever seen. A concerted effort to socially engineer this entity so as to funnel investment into a faux P/E ratio. Socio-fascism enables companies to produce a synthetic stock price.

Big ole Boy

Elite Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Here is one comment in the article which sums up the faux world we find ourselves in ...

Buried in the bottom of the earnings release, where no analyst ever goes, like the basement of the building, is the real story. The math used in the first few pages doesn't work. When you look at the real numbers you find that Amazon's free cash flow is 1/3rd of what the top line claims.

The real GAAP earnings were negative. It takes enough bull**** to power intergalactic flight to get to what Amazon claims they made.

I've maintained for a very long time that Amazon is a money laundering front for Mossad/CIA operations. I'm not wrong. Profit off the sale doesn't matter when the purpose is just to transfer cash. There is no way a company can stay in business losing billions of dollars for twenty years straight.

Face****, Google, and the rest of the bull**** exists to channel trillions to the Mossad operators and their Israel first global initiative.

Of course now that they have cryptocurrencies they can profit off the transfer and launder their money. They might not need Amazon anymore.

Just a money laundering front ....

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I wouldn't bet on mom and pop, unless they have a machine and know how to make a grande mocha latte or a craft beer. In COW states if you get up to speed on edibles you might have a chance. The carpenter that built my house 25 years ago switched to selling online hardware. When appraisals crashed in 2007 I looked in the mirror and realized there was really nothing else I was qualified to do. In retirement I think I will make upscale woodworking benches and give them to relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks