• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

More on Mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtubbs

Just received my renewal for E&O insurance with LIA. The cover letter had the following quote:

"The insurance company has adised us that, as of your renewal date, your policy will contain a new exclusion: coverage will be excluded for any claims for, based upon, or arising from fungi or microbes, commonly known as mold..."

Sometimes I sit and wonder if all of this is worth it. Then, sometimes I just sit.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
We are scheduled to have a person or two from LIA be our guest speakers at the Jan. meeting of our local appraisers association. Their topic again will basically be issues of liability to the appraiser and how to recognize and avoid them. I am sure mold will be mentioned, even if we are less prone in this state to see it often, compared to the "humidity belt" of other parts of the country. Should be interesting.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Ross:

How about summarizing what they say for the rest of us? I can't get to Colorado but am interested, especially since LIA is my carrier.

Roger

Eileen Cosello

Freshman Member
We also received the cover letter regarding mold with out renewal policy. Does anyone know of a carrier who covers mold.

Thank you in advance for replies.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Roger, ..... I'd be glad to share my notes and recall about the mold issue from what the speakers share with us. In the meantime, you may well have just received the January '03 printing of REV magazine, with a nice article about the mold issue written by a Cert. Gen. from north-central Texas ! I have not read it yet, but fast page turning hints that it may be quite complete. Check it out .

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>Ross,

I read it just now. I thought it was informative, but I am going to have to pull rank on the author just a little bit as a biologist (by college degree): Contrary to the article, mold does NOT need light to survive. I can understand how this mistake could have been made as it is no typical "plant." But this error could cause confusion to some of the +/-75,000 appraisers across the country who get Henry's publication. I will email the author and point to this post. He may wish to have a correction added to the next issue of REV.

To document this I did a GOOGLE search and found the hyperlinks and quotes below in this post.

Also a comment: The author mentions the CDC (Center for Disease Control) as an informational source. These guys and girls have been pretty good at times in some situations, but they are also way to "political" and entirely too "industry friendly" for many peoples' tastes. This is to the point that I'm generally not very interested in their opinions anymore -- including on the extent of the potential problem with mold toxins.

They have proven themselves likely to greatly downplay such issues at the behest of such powerful lobbies as the Insurance Industry. They are quickly developing this reputation for pulling such stunts as covering-up for pharmaceutical companies that have continued to promote and manufactor their MMR vaccines (measles, mumps and rubella) when the evidence is overwhelming that the mercury (a heavy metal) compounds sometimes (and unnecessarily) used as a preservative does major neuralogical damage (specifically by disrupting cell membranes, I believe) -- particularly in children -- resulting in learning deficiencies, IQ problems and a type of autism. The mothers were right all along -- the manufactorers sure knew it or sure suspected it too, but denied it for a buck, and now we have many more children in the country with very debilitating disabilities. (They could have just removed the damn mercury from the vaccines.)

Unfortunately, the message, once again is: "Don't trust your government too much; they have been bought out by big business." Sad, but true.

Here's a study funded by the CDC. It is widely regarded as a bogus and very dangerous document after some honest medical researchers testified in very recent Congressional Hearings where both sides were represented (i.e., honest medical researchers on the one side, and the CDC on the other).

http://www.iom.edu/iom/iomhome.nsf/WFiles/...-MMR-4Pager.pdf

Here are the quotes regarding MOLD:

http://www.moldinspector.com/q_&_a.htm

QUESTION:
We have lived in our brand new home for 7 months. We just recently discovered
mold growing in our windows due to high condensation. There were a few windows
where mold came through to the window sill. We are taking steps to control the
excess humidity in our home. My main concern is any hidden mold in the wood
surrounding the windows. Our builder told us this would not be a problem since
mold needs light to grow. Is this true? It sounds fishy to me.

ANSWER:
At least small amounts of mold is present everywhere in our living environment.
Unhealthy levels of mold growth happens when it has food to eat [your home and
furnishings] and water or moisture [such as relative humidity above 50%]. Mold
does NOT need light to grow. In fact, if an area is regularly exposed to the direct
ultraviolet rays of the sun, sun light kills mold.

http://www.girlstart.com/mold.asp

"Mold is able to break down its favorite food substances…like the
bread slices that have been lying in the trash for a few days. Mold
does not need sunlight like plants do, because mold does not use
photosynthesis (making food from sunlight)."

http://www.utm.edu/departments/ed/cece/fifth/5F2.shtml

Fungi are organisms like mushrooms and molds that are not green.
Fungi do not have chlorophyll for making food. Fungi get their food
from other organisms. They usually absorb food from these organisms.

Actually, "carbon-based organic substances" might have been a little more appropriate here rather than "organisms" --dcj</span>

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
What I see is a classic example of why our E & O companies are not going to insure you against mold.

Disclaim, Disclaim, Disclaim. My reports says "I am not an expert in areas such as ..................... The intended user of this appraisal report is urged to consult an expert."

Black mold? Yellow mold? Old mold? How the heck am I to know...I am an appraiser not a mold expert! Guess the next people we have in for our local appraisers group and continuing education program will be mold people.

Been accused of being "old as mold" by my Sunday school kids once upon a time.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
OK I am finally out to rid my house of mold. I found mold growing in area by the AC air handler (yes we are still running the AC in South FLA) and in the kids bathroom. I did not want to bleach the air unit so I tried a Lysol spray that says it kills mold spores. Also purchased a HEPA filter system from Home Depot. Thats what happens when you read all the mold articles. Mold Panic

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Right on Mike! We are NOT mold experts.....we cannot identify the type of mold present or whether it poses health risks. Heck, I don't even know if what I'm looking at is mold in the first place! Yup....."Disclaim" is the name of the game here.

In another thread, tort reform was being argued. I'd say that this mold thing is a good example of lawyers going overboard. The E&O companies are looking down the road at all the money it could cost them to defend a lawsuit brought by unethical lawyers. I don't really blame them.

Bottom line, because of the threat of lawsuits, you and I are left to "twist in the wind" so..........like Mike said.....

Disclaim, Disclaim, Disclaim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks