• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mortgage Broker's License Revocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Does anyone know of a case where the license of a Florida Mortgage Broker was either suspended or revoked?

If so, what were the circumtances?

(I no longer do reports for mortage loans, but here is a case I heard about yesterday): A Florida mortgage broker ordered two appraisals on the same property. The mortgage broker submitted only one of the reports (the higher one) to the mortgage funding firm, and further, the appraiser did not get paid by the title company, whom the broker had said was to pay the appraiser.

Through the mortgage funding firm and from the title company, the appraiser learned that his report had not been submitted to either of them. When the appraiser called the mortgage broker in a effort to get paid, the mortgage broker said, "Call the borrower-homeowner." Who, of course, told the appraiser she did not owe him anything.

Was there any violation of Florida law on the part of the mortgage broker?
What recourse does the appraiser now have?

Marty Davis

Freshman Member
The BEST thing to do is to file a Mechanic's Lien" on the property. You probably won't get paid right away, but before they can refinance, sell etc. they will have to satisfy the lien. :oops:

Marty Davis

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Marty,

I'll let others more knowledgeable about this hopefully give a more researched answer, but I believe you cannot file a mechanics lien for an appraisal. Especially if it's for a lender.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
The BEST thing to do is to file a Mechanic's Lien" on the property. You probably won't get paid right away, but before they can refinance, sell etc. they will have to satisfy the lien. :oops:

Marty Davis

Marty,

Please don't file a mechanic's lien. In Florida, this is reserved for contractors and materialmen. Right now, the only way to lien the property is to secure a judgement against the creditor/borrower/client and have it recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks