• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Most Massachusetts Doctors Favor End Of Life Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
A couple years back I read an opinion from an MD on why he was shooting for dying at 75, and why he intended to cease all preventative medicine after 65. His point was the the gains in longevity have not extended the functional and productive lifespans, but have instead extended the length of time it takes to die. So while he wouldn't volunteer to check out right at 75 just because it was 75 he wasn't going to attempt to extend his life beyond that.

His arguments resonated with me. I don't want to outlive my wife or put my family through an extended end-of-life transition. From what I've seen, life gets pretty fragile after 80 anyway, and in addition to being a little lucky you also have to want to keep going to make it. My former partner's mother was in her early 80s and aside from her vision problems she was doing okay but was driving his wife nuts via bickering. They couldn't take it anymore so they put her in a home and she died within 90 days after that. She just gave up and checked out.

So yeah, I want my doctor and my family to follow my instructions. I'm not a fetus who lacks the agency to make my own choices and nobody is responsible for me but me.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Euthanize the doctors convicted of malpractice first and wait 24 months to see if less old folks end up lying in hospital beds or nursing homes- Another bonus would be a reduction in doctors malpractice insurance premiums WIN-WIN :)

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I've long been a supporter of the right to die. I've seen too many family members being prolonged to no one's benefit except Doctors and Pharmacists. I've had in place for almost 10 years the means to achieve a quiet, peaceful death when I think my time has come. I want quality, not miserable quantity.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Mom -Pop we thank you for being a supporter of the end of life because we have no problem giving you a quick end of life because ** You are dying and as an-appraiser and have no serious assets or money and ** No offense but we as family members are very tired of your health problems and our attorney told us about the 120 day rule which means after 120 days in a facility you are going to be charged and OUR Estate which is only a $100,000 or $300,000 will be-eaten away at $5,000 to $10,000 a month and in a short period of time and they will place a lien on everything you own which is not that much when divided between the four of us. SO WE agree with you and will do everything possible to let the doctors know you want to die with dignity from Your loving Family who unfortunately were too busy to help take care of you !

Last edited:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Eggzactly so. The Native Americans knew how to handle this scenario with some dignity.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I've long been a supporter of the right to die. I've seen too many family members being prolonged to no one's benefit except Doctors and Pharmacists. I've had in place for almost 10 years the means to achieve a quiet, peaceful death when I think my time has come. I want quality, not miserable quantity.
You will be crying like a baby when the family and doctors pull the plug ; ) LOL

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
You will be crying like a baby when the family and doctors pull the plug ; ) LOL

No, I won't, because I have a living will and a medical proxy that won't allow there to be a plug in the first place. If you knew me at all, you would not have made such an unfounded statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks