• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Moving Appraisal Business From AZ to WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThorleyB

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hola, from the desert. I have a strong appraisal business here in the Phoenix area, due to family issues I might have to move back to the Seattle area. I lived there for 15 years, up til ~1998, and go back to visit regularly.
Here in the land of 340 sunny days a year, we use 100' tapes to measure, and graph paper to sketch. How do you web footed appraisers do your inspections in the rain? Also, given the difficulty getting around, with traffic so bad, is there anyone that has a multi county practice?

I love the Pac NW, I just wonder how operating an appraisal business would be up there.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

Thor Taggart
Next Day Appraisal of Arizona, Inc
Chandler, AZ

DonPearsall

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Washington
Thor,
Graph paper! 100' Tapes? What are those? I gave those up years ago. Just invest in a Disto. No more crawling through wet bushes or stringing tapes across people's beds.

As far as rain goes, just get used to it. I have lived here almost all my life and have never owned an umbrella. You will get wet. Just have a towel in your car and a good heater. You will be almost dry by the time you get home.

Traffic of course is a *****. Two hours to get from Seattle to Puyallup (40 miles) where I live. It is a bit better in the south sound, around Olympia. Anything north of Auburn is a continuous 10mph crawl on the freeways almost 24 hours a day. I cover all of Puget Sound and can expect to be gone all day for almost any inspection.

Good luck whatever you do.

Don

bmallory

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
disto is not going to do any good outside when you don't have a target wall. invest in some serious rain gear.

ThorleyB

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I had a Disto, back in the day, I'm pretty technical but couldn't figure a way to make it more efficient than just running a tape around the subject.
I tried the Pythagoras function, seems more trouble than it's worth.

Here in AZ, I cover the whole state, in this market you have to go pretty far afield to stay busy. Most days I do 2 or 3 inspections. My guess is if I tried to cover King county I'd be limited to 1, due to travel difficulties.

My thinking is to relocate to the South Sound area, maybe cover King and Pierce counties...

Avery Valentine

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
Does this mean you can't use a Disto outdoors?

disto is not going to do any good outside when you don't have a target wall. invest in some serious rain gear.

I've been thinking about buying a Disto, but do you mean you can't use it outside?

I also currently use the tape and paper, not bad but the paper does get annoying when it's raining.

DonPearsall

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Washington
Of course you can use a Disto outside. I do everyday. If you don't have a target to hit the end of a wall, you can stand a bit away from the opposite end of the wall and aim at a spot right near the other end of the wall. If the disto reads out 32.15' then you just round down to 32'

I do this all the time. And of course it always works with 100% accuracy when you can hit a solid object perpendicularly. Where it does not work is when you have bright sun shining on the target. Then you can't see the laser dot.

Don

DonPearsall

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Washington
Oh, and another trick with the Disto. You can take measurements through WINDOWS. Many times I have even put the disto up against the window with blinds down and shot through the gap in the blinds to the opposite wall of the house. 2 seconds to get the depth of a house!

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
"Here in AZ, I cover the whole state"

So you subscribe to the MLS in all the counties and are geographically competent to cover the whole state??

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
I have been using a disto for about a year, and everytime I use it I think to myself how in gods name did I use a tape measure for as long as I did. There really isn't a comparision between a disto and a tape measure.

Liz Mura

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I use a Disto in the bright sun here in the desert...the viewer on the side allows you to see the red dot on your target even in the brightest of light.

I worked in Rochester, NY for many years. It is much the same weather there as in Seattle. Rainy days involved carrying an umbrella over the clipboard and back then I used a tape...soggy muddy mess if you ask me.:angry: I'd use a Disto in a second back there. Nothing to bounce off? Try sticking a Post-It on the other end of the house and bouncing off that. you may have to walk a few more feet, but it's VERY accurate and you won't have mud on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks