• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Multi Family 14 Zoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjoslin

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
Hello

In the state of Nevada, is it allowed for a certified residential appraiser to appraise a SFR in a multi family 14 zone? The lot size is 7,000 SF. The city of reno says that it is not legal to have more than 2 units (approx 3,000 sf for each unit). However, an MAI states that it is "against the law" for me to appraise the subject because of the highest and best use determination. The compliance officer for the state is new and does not have the answer. My client is very concerned about this because many homes are located within MF zones.

Thank you
jjoslin

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
How did the MAI get involved?

If you are proficient in Highest and Best Use analysis then you should be able to appraise it but you have to be able to defend the analysis. Can you answer the four tests of site as if vacant? Can you answer the four tests of site as improved? Can you show that SFR is acceptable in that zoning area?

If you can't write the H and B analysis to defend it against a complaint you might want to walk, but I don't know anything about your area.

johnjoslin

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
I called the MAI to ask his opinion, also had a another question. I was surprised. I mentioned to him that the lot size was only 7,000 but he was definitive so I thanked him and hung up. After speaking with fellow appraisers, I decided to ask the state. However, to your point, the highest and best use starts with what is legal. The city told me that it is not legal to have more than 2 units because of the lot size. If it's not legal to have more units than I am allowed to appraise, then do I need to go further into the highest and best use?
and thanks for your input
jjoslin

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
One more step, maybe. Does the zoning allow commercial use? Could the property be used as an insurance office for example?

It looks like yours is a pretty easy determination since no more than one unit can be build on the site.

johnjoslin

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
No commercial. However, there is professional office allowed, but the realtor explained why that is being kept off the street. (don't remember exactly what she said)
Thanks for your input.
jjoslin

johnjoslin

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
Hello
If the zoning is Multi Family 14 units, and the lot size is 7,000 sf, and the city planners say only 2 units are legally permissible, ( because 43,500 / 14 is approx. 3,000 SF), then is a certified residential appraiser qualified to perform the highest and best use? (with 14 units being beyond the 1 to 4 allowed for a CR). I'm getting differing opinions.
jj

johnjoslin

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
Trying this again.

If the zoning is Multi family 14 and the lot size is 7,000 sf and the city planners state that no more than 2 units are legally permissible, then can a certified residential appraisal perform the highest and best use considering the CR can do 1 to 4 units and this is MF14 zoning? (43,500 / 14 is approx. = 3000 sf). I'm getting differing opinions.
jj

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
While I am not from Nevada, typically certified Residential appraisers are allowed to appraise sites suitable for 1 - 4 family residential property. If the density only allows 2 units due to the limited site size it would seem that qualifies as a 1 - 4 family site.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
Although I addressed this in the other thread you started on this issue (see link below)

https://appraisersforum.com/forums/threads/cr-allowed-to-appraise-in-mf14.215402/

You left out a very important piece of information. Although you can't remember why, the fact that professional office is a permitted use, you, may not be competent to properly perform the Highest and Best Use analysis related to this allowed use. So, therefore now that more of the facts have been revealed, it seems that the MAI you spoke with is correct, despite the limited number of allowable residential units due to the site size, you might not be able to properly perform this assignment.

the highest and best use starts with what is legal.
Oh and this is not a correct assumption. The highest and best use analysis does not have any required or specified format as to what test is performed first, next or last. Only that the four tests are performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks