• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Must Comment on Market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhalstead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Hey Guys ('n Gals),

I just received the lender condition below.

"Appraiser to provide 3 new current comparables required within .5 miles and sold within 3 months. If additional comparables can not be provided, appraiser must comment on the market in detail."

There are no additional comps for this property. The market has been extremely sluggish. Most of the sales in that area are REOs (not arms length) and are just not good comps (similar). However, despite that, with the comps I submitted initially, it did make value.

The lender, who would have taken this appraisal written on the back of a napkin two years ago, now wants proof beyond any shadow of a doubt, that this property is worth all of $165,000.

Doe's anyone have any ideas/responses (successful canned response would be ok too) that they could share on this???

Thank you,

Chuck :Eyecrazy:
Living the Vida Loca (not really)

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hey Guys ('n Gals),

"Appraiser to provide 3 new current comparables required within .5 miles and sold within 3 months. If additional comparables can not be provided, appraiser must comment on the market in detail."

There are no additional comps for this property. The market has been extremely sluggish. Most of the sales in that area are REOs (not arms length) and are just not good comps (similar). However, despite that, with the comps I submitted initially, it did make value.

Thank you,

Why are you not using the predominant sales in the neighborhood? If REO is driving the market then you should be using them. And who says that an ROE is not an arm's length sale? Typical seller is bank. Typical buyer is buying REO. Each bank is as typically motivated as the next bank.

Anyone trying to sell now that is not REO is mostly likely as motivated as the banks or they wouldn't be selling in this market.

If you are not using REO and short sale comps in an area dominated by them then you might be over valuing the subject property.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
They evidently want more support for your conclusion. If you feel you already did a good job of explaining the market and commenting on nearby sales that were not suitable as comps then just point them to that section in your appraisal.

If not, maybe you should send more commentary. Especially if you did not already comment on more recent and more proximate sales. That's not oo much for them to ask.

If you already did a good job and this is a "moving goal post" request I'd just tell them my report already covers it but might offer to send more commentary for a fee.

cwhalstead

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Thank you Tim... I didn't really think of it that way!

Last edited:

JonGalt

Professional Status
State
Illinois
However, despite that, with the comps I submitted initially, it did make value.

:new_popcornsmiley:

ddnma

Professional Status
State
Illinois
What do you mean by: "it made value"

I don't understand something making value- value is what it is...

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Hey Guys ('n Gals),

The lender, who would have taken this appraisal written on the back of a napkin two years ago, now wants proof beyond any shadow of a doubt, that this property is worth all of $165,000.

Doe's anyone have any ideas/responses (successful canned response would be ok too) that they could share on this???

Thank you,

Chuck, what 'value' would you have opined for it if you didn't know what 'value' they wanted?

Canned comments are no longer acceptable. Paragraphs citing your own data and analysis of that data - data that is significant and relevant for the subject property and it's immediate neighborhood and it's market area is now necessary. Only the local, competent, and experienced appraiser can answer the questions they now are asking.

Smokey Bear

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
However, despite that, with the comps I submitted initially, it did make value
Oh please tell me you didn't say that. :)

BTW, why don't you wow them and include the spreadsheet chart you created to determine what the market was doing? That usually shuts them up.

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Anbody got a selection of Spread Sheets.

Us folks who only have about six sales in a month to use, don't have enough data to make a really good, impressive spread sheet. If someone has some that I could use, I will put in the town that fits the appraisal I am doing.

Thanks

Wayne Tomlinson

dobie

Professional Status
State
New Jersey

How do you know this? Just wondering.

Were some of your prior appraisals the "napkin" variety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks