• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

My Refinance Odessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappy

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
So I am in the process of having my townhome refinanced for the first time in 15 years. The loan processor working for the broker sent me a copy of an article making the rounds in the mortgage broker world attributing the bulk of the process delays to lazy and greedy appraisers charging outlandish fees and dragging out the turn times while playing golf. I am embellishing it a bit but not by much. I guess I should not have expected any less. After 24 years in the business you get pretty cynical. In my case, the appraiser contacted me in a timely manner, arrived on time, was efficient and professional, turned his report in within a week and apparently got paid at the low end of the scale based on the fees charged to me. I have heard of no UW issues regarding the appraisal. On the other hand, I have had to deal with continous, extended and last minute UW questions and clarifications. Many of them for items already addressed months ago ( I live in a PUD/townhome and they have been continually requiring then waiving HO6 condo addon insurance). In my case at least, it is evident that the drawn out refinance process is due to lender/broker incompetance and indifference rather than to "lazy" or "greedy" appraisers.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Not to mention when the appraised value comes in low and buyer / seller are renegotiating the contract.

Or, there are deferred maintenance issues requiring repair or inspection by an expert.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
RE profession treats appraisers in a sickening way and least we can do is make money, stop charging modest fees people...glad your refi is going well.

spiderman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Had a lady at the end of my inspection, pull a $10 out of her purse and say "here get yourself a coffer or something". Like I was a pizza delivery guy or something. We really do not get any respect

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yep, I'm lazy, greedy, smelly, and an azzhole and have been that way in this business for more than 36 years. Oh, for the record...I don't play golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks