• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

My retired dad helps me on the observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debra

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Hello,

I've got a marketing question-just want opinions at this point. My dad is retired from the local post office. He loves to go to appraisal appointments with me. He's very helpful (especially in dangerous areas/empty houses). He does not want to do any of the computer work! When he goes (which is probably more than 1/2 the time, what he does is go with me (He usually drives my car). Then, at the property, He talks to the home owner/owners while I'm doing my drawing and etc. which helps to keep me from being distracted from my appraisal work or missing anything about the property. He also takes the inside pictures and holds the "dummy" end of the measuring tape. I always put in my appraisal reports that he accompanied me to the observation and helped with the data collection.

My question is-would there be anything wrong with my taking him with me knocking on doors or cold calling for me??? He's very good with people and a lot of people know my mom because She's an elected official, but, I'm asking because I've always been taught in the past not to take anybody else with you to interviews and etc. Thanks for answers!

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Just keep in mind some HO like to accompany "strangers" through their house. If two people show up to do an appraisal, it can make some HO uncomfortable if the two "appraisers" go in different directions once inside the home. I have heard of several HO calling the clients with complaints when this has happened. Most HO could care less, but there are a few who are very uncomfortable with it. Besides that, I don't see any other problems with your questions, etc.

Debra

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
TJsum,

Thanks for your opinion!

jonhig

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sounds much like my dad. Retired and hates computers. I used to go with him on appointments and now he helps me when I have a really large and difficult home to measure. I don't see any problems with your dad cold calling or anything like that. We never seperated once inside the house, I imagine that would kind of weird out the HO like TJ said.

Debra

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Well, we don't usually seperate, but, you know, if it's one of those home owners that follow you around the whole time talking-Dad usually talks with them till I get done with my sketch and stuff. Then, we both sit down with them in the Living Room or wherever while I ask them questions about the property and discuss it with them and take lots of notes.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sounds wonderful for both of you! I don't see any problem with him doing marketing and such.

jonhig

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yeah, I really love those homeowners that talk to you the entire time when your trying to do a quality job. :new_all_coholic: I like your strategy about using your dad as a decoy.

mdtulips

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I see nothing wrong with it. My dad accompanys me often as he is retired as well. He usually stays in the car though......I like having him there especially if I'm going to a "dangerous" neighborhood. It just feels safer. He's also very helpful in mapping out my comp pictures so that we get it done faster. For all the HO knows, your dad could be your "trainee." I would try to stay together as much as possible because some crazy HO may accuse either you or your dad of "taking something," of value in the house. You also need to protect yourselves in those situations. Good luck to you!

Debra

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Thanks for all your answers.

As far as mapping things out...think how much a retired postal employee could help you find addresses in the County that he retired from. It's a great deal-He just wants me to buy lunch and spend time traveling with his daughter-sweet. I'm so happy to hear that some other appraiser's dads travel with them too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks