• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

My Thoughts About Appraising After 2 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristianG

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Hello all,

I am thinking every day about my first post here, where I said that I left corporate America because of the long hours, and someone said "this sounds like my schedule". To be honest, I didn't quite believe it at the time.
He was right, though. It's long hours. I would venture to say just as long as with corporate. Of course, corporate doesn't give me the flexibility to schedule my work the way I want.

Before I joined, I asked appraisers about the time it takes (all the steps combined) to work on an appraisal and they told me it was about 6, maybe 7 hours (so that includes the inspection, driving, all of it). Now I realize it could be even longer than that, given the fact that so often the info is not there, I need to call agents, and so on. Not to mention when it's a new construction, when it's easily taking longer than 8 hours (getting all the info from the sale office, and sometimes it feels like pulling teeth).

I'm still gonna do appraisals for a while (until my other business picks up) but I'm gonna try to focus more and more on the design side (my other business). So I'll still be around. I haven't contributed with anything here yet (maybe with the custom graph paper but not sure anyone found them useful anyway:). But I'm very thankful for all the help I've got so far. I really learned a lot from you guys.

Christian

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
It's true. I probably do about 220-240 appraisals per year and I find that I basically work around the clock. I easily work at least 60 hours per week most weeks.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I was working 12/16 hr days seven days a week for about 4 or 5 years. It didn't start out that way but eventually that is what it became. One day I said to myself - if this is what my life has been reduced to; frowning over MLS sheets and appraisal reports, I may as well die now. So I shut it down and found a job with an assessor's office which I absolutely love. I have to admit it felt weird having time in the evening and free weekends but I quickly got over that by taking art lessons, exploring museums and widening my social circle.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
It depends on where you are so much and what you do. I can't emphasize that enough. 7 or 8 hours is a dream world on many 1004's for mortgage related work.

Welcome! Thanks for the post!

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Of course, corporate doesn't give me the flexibility to schedule my work the way I want.
This is one of the best perks of this career, IMO. Although, yes, most weeks, I too put in well over 40 hrs, being able to negotiate that time around time with my wife and kids ... priceless.

Best of luck to you in this career and your other business!

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
It's true. I probably do about 220-240 appraisals per year and I find that I basically work around the clock. I easily work at least 60 hours per week most weeks.

So when you're sitting on your deathbed do you think you would of liked to have done more or less appraisals?? More free time and enjoyment or more work? Just curious.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I was working 12/16 hr days seven days a week for about 4 or 5 years. It didn't start out that way but eventually that is what it became. One day I said to myself - if this is what my life has been reduced to; frowning over MLS sheets and appraisal reports, I may as well die now. So I shut it down and found a job with an assessor's office which I absolutely love. I have to admit it felt weird having time in the evening and free weekends but I quickly got over that by taking art lessons, exploring museums and widening my social circle.

Yes, theres a better way to live than worrying about grinding it out over appraisals or any job. Most people don't figure it out until its way too late. Good job on your hobbies and experiences, that's what life is supposed to be about...not sweating where the next $450 is coming from when you never will have enough down time to enjoy it.

ChristianG

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
So when you're sitting on your deathbed do you think you would of liked to have done more or less appraisals?? More free time and enjoyment or more work? Just curious.
I agree with what you're saying but it was kind of harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks