• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

My Thursday after 5:00 conspiracy theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I was sitting at my desk today working diligently :) , when my fax started ringing off the wall. This is one of my favorite pet peeves. It is Thursday, March 20 after 5 pm and I receive 6 orders from various companies with the words "rush" and "asap" stamped all over them (as if no orders don't come in with those words :) ). Now, I don't know about the rest of you guys and girls, but by Thursday at 5, my Friday is set and basically these orders will not be acknowledged until Monday. If I had already left for the day, I would not even know they were here until I returned from inspections Friday afternoon. I really believe that loan officers and processors do this on purpose. That way they can call you on Monday or Tuesday and ask for status on that appraisal they sent over 5 days ago. It is their only little way of making their lack of preparation look like a slow appraiser. Usually, when I discuss it with them, I can discover they could have ordered it up to two weeks ago, but they did not get around to clearing them off their desk until now. It amazes me how it always seems to be thursdays or Fridays after 5:00 when I receive many orders. It has to be a conspiracy. Sigh, oh well, it beats having no orders at all.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
(Sigh) yeah, I know. Just try and take a little time off, even for edumikashun. Thank God for voice mail. :wink: When I have a long week, I put it right on my message that I will not be back until X date...... and THAT is your status update (for AMC's :p ). My best clients know how how to get me.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Getting near the end of the month again too. Has to close next week to count in this months commissions for that bonus! If you don't work all weekend they lose a few hundred or a few thousand and it'a all your fault for not working 24/7 and...... not hitting their number!!!

It's the Appraiser's fault. 0X

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Repeat after me....."Your lack of planning is not my problem. I presently have XX assignments ahead of you and will not be able to even inspect the property until a week from tomorrow. May I recommend another appraiser?"

What really gets me is when they call and ask for your turn time and fee and say will fax it right over. Four days later here comes the fax and they expect it on the same day you told them four days ago.

Here it is 5:30 in the AM and I am sitting in my PJs trying to get a report out so they can close on Monday. I was in the office until 8PM last night. Wait til they see the contract is $5,000 above my value conclusion. Another fine case of ...."lets add $5,000 to the listing price to cover the fact the buyer has no money, poor credit, and wants $2,000 cash for new carpeting!".

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Repeat after me....."Your lack of planning is not my problem.
{snip}
What really gets me is when they call and ask for your turn time and fee and say will fax it right over. Four days later here comes the fax and they expect it on the same day you told them four days ago.

Mike my fee and turn conversations ALWAYS include the following:
"Subject to reciept of the order within the next 3 minutes: after that time whatever gets here first takes precedence over YOUR order as I have a real short memory span for promises of orders not received, and our booking of six other orders in between this conversation and actual receipt of order becomes your problem not my emergency"

This generally brings a wail of "But I have to get the fee approved". to which my response is "Gee I hope the approval process goes smoothly for you" :twisted:

And in case any one thinks I am blowing smoke about this rather blunt client treatment - I assure you that the above was writ from memory of actuals conversations :twisted:

and you gotta LOVE the otu-of-town rush job order where-in original conversation to receipt of order time is 3-5 days... They LOVE it when I tell them we will next be going to that location two weeks from Tuesday :roll: To which my response is typically: you were warned!

jtrotta

bean answering the phony, snowglobe appraisal service 8O :lol: :lol:

phony goes silent, I chuckle, and say, you were lookin for - they pause and quote my office, then we just tellum they've reached the right office, but this was a test for their day :wink: ; usually gits em laughing, and then we hit em with the booked out a few days, like till April and they still put the order in. what a country ayyy.

8)

Mike Simpson

I used to bend over backwards in an attempt to accommodate our clients--as long as their requests were ethical and permissible.

However, being a quick study I realized in short order that door swung only one way. Having experienced this phenomenon on numerous occasions I began to change my mindset. I dug in my heels and stuck to my guns.

It was at this point that I began to make more money and found myself with more free time on my hands. Too bad for them...better for me!!!

One thing I almost never do anymore is weekend appointments--unless I can charge an additional fee (worth my time--nobody wants to pay it though). I've also learned over time that I can charge an additional fee when they need something done quicker than usual. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

-Mike

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I got a phone call yesterday (after 5). It was an AMC. "Hi. Regarding 123 4th street, please cancel it. The lender ordered it through the wrong AMC." O.K. Hadn't done anything, anyway. Then the phone rings again. "Hi. Got some special items we need on a report." Phone beeps for call holding. Put caller on hold, answer second line. "Hi. This is XYZ AMC. We need a rush on 123 4th Street." Uh, you just cancelled this not 5 ago. "Cancelled! That can't be. They just called to rush it!" Talk to whoever cancelled the order from your office. Bye. Reconnected with second caller. "Hi. We need some special items on the appraisal at 123 4th Street." NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE. All right, I said. Your office has, in the last 5 minutes called to cancel, rush, and now add special requirements. Why don't you get together up there and figure out what you want and call me back. Bye, now.

After about 10 minutes, they called back and said it was cancelled. Three people working 1 order. No wonder they take so much of the fee.

Roger

Professional Status
State
Florida
It is a definite fact that loan processors try move the case off of their desks at the last of the week. Their employer keeps track of their turn time, too. Every day is counted. Not just M-F.

The processor wants Saturday and Sunday to run on your Turn Time, instead of hers. Don't sweat it.

Tom

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
"All orders are handled on a first come-first served basis except those involving sales which will be scheduled at the appraiser’s discretion.

An order will only be entered for processing upon receipt of a signed written (letter or fax) order stating the correct 911 address of the property and a full legal description of the property to be appraised. Incomplete orders will not be scheduled until the above required information is received.

It is expected that details such as contact numbers, sales price, copy of purchase agreements, etc. will be forthcoming on a timely basis. Lack of this information may result in delay in scheduling the appraisers visit to the property resulting in delay of completion of the appraisal report."

We are considering this policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks