• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

MY turn. need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfriendly

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
OK here is MY situation. Did an appraisal on a house 4 months ago. Value did NOT make what the guy wanted, but I felt like it was a supported and defendable estimate of value.
Today I get a request from someone who wants their name on the appraisal I did 4 months ago.
I told the LO that there would have to be a NEW ASSIGNMENT. She indicated that the lender said "if it was within the last 6 months send it on over"!
I told her that the borrower has a PDF copy and he can send it to her.
Of course now she wants her name on it.
Now I KNOW I cannot change/reassign/readdress the names; not even an option.
The subject is in a "Slightly Declining" market area which still means Declining.
Apparently she does not want to order an appraisal from me. She just wants her name on the one done 4 months ago. When I said NO, she starts raising her voice and telling me how she is "just trying to help this guy out" and she tells me "YOU GOT PAID".
Well I did and I did my job.

Should the LO send a new request, and request a Retroactive Appraisal?:rof: Not really laughing, but that is kind of funny.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Apparently she does not want to order an appraisal from me. She just wants her name on the one done 4 months ago. When I said NO, she starts raising her voice and telling me how she is "just trying to help this guy out" and she tells me "YOU GOT PAID".
Well I did and I did my job.

I always wonder why these clowns raise their voices and treat appraisers like dirt because the appraiser refuses to provide free services. They sure don't provide free services, be it getting a mortgage, or when serving me french fries in a few months after the market squeezes them out of thier current job.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I always wonder why these clowns raise their voices and treat appraisers like dirt because the appraiser refuses to provide free services. They sure don't provide free services, be it getting a mortgage, or when serving me french fries in a few months after the market squeezes them out of thier current job.

Because their only experience with appraisers is from the low end of the spectrum?

William K

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Had a similar call just recently. I stated first that I can't even talked to you in reference to the appraisal report, secondly I cannot change them name on an appraisal report ordered by my client at that time even if it is the same borrower. third I would suggest you order a new report then you can have one in your name. the L.O. at this point starts yelling that " I am just trying to help these people out again and I am not hardly making anything this time around" and " I can't beleive you would make me order a new appraisal so you can collect full fee agian!" at which point I calmly said if you had listened I stated you would have to place an order yourself to get an appraisal in your name, I never stated that I would charge for this even though I would be reinspecting the property. But since you brought up the idea of charging again I believe I would now require a fee from your comany payable in advance for the appraisal assignment. You have my fax number have a Nice DAY! After all he was just looking out for his client again (refied him 2 times in the last 12 months) and was only charging half his fee this time!:new_2gunsfiring_v1:

bfriendly

Professional Status
State
Georgia
I have been trying to get her to communicate with me via E-mail, but she will not return my calls and never gave me an email address.

She told me her dad was an appraiser so I left her a message asking her to "Please call your dad and ask him how your name can go on an appraisal I did 4 months ago":shrug:

She was real nice to me until I said "I just dont see how I can do a new assignment for you dated back 4 months-I dont even want to TOUCH that".

Thats when she told me "If you dont want to touch that then your appraisal must not have been any good"

OK-MY BUTTONS have been PUSHED:angry: -now I am f'ing furious. I did not say F'YOU(wanted to), I merely hung up on her.m2:

Ed Falkowski MAI SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
It's amazing to me how many LOs use the excuse: "I'm just trying to help these people out!". Yeah.... uh-huh... so why don't you try charging them 4 points instead of 5 and lower their interest rate from 10 1/2 to 8 3/8? I actually said that to a newbie LO from one of my best clients back in the sub-prime hay-day. He didn't like it too much... but it didn't matter because he was fired the next day anyway. :flowers:

Bfriendly, don't lose a wink of sleep over this. What you heard was what they teach in "Basic LO Rhetoric 101". However, some advice for the next time this happens: start "massaging" the client a little bit. What I tell them is this: Look, I can do a brand new appraisal for $zzz instead of $zzz (it usually comes out to be 60% of my full fee... I NEVER drop my price to less than typical AMC work! :laugh: ). I can do it faster than I did the first time (as usually much of the information is exactly the same) so it won't delay your processing. Finally (and this is the one that hits home the hardest), you can either pay my fee and I'll do it for you or you can explain to the borrower why you had to order a new appraisal from a new appraiser who will, without any problem, charge them the full fee! Tell them you're "helping them out"! :icon_mrgreen:

Abzntminded

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
It always starts with how helpful and altruistic the LO is, what a small thing to "just change the name". If the 4-month old report IS used like this, the next thing the UW is conditioning for additional comps and an update.

Most appraisers I know will perform a new appraisal for a reduced fee depending on if there is truly less work involved. Beyond that, the LO could really help the borrower out and pay for the new appraisal themselves.

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I love this scenario.

just went through this. New order,new fee etc.....You would think I was killing children the way the LO and processor carried on with my "demands". They eventually caved in and sent me a new order form. When I informed them that I wasn't moving my large arse out of my chair without payment up front it put them over the top. Check arrived yesterday. I count in excess of 20 phone calls on my caller id from the LO, processor and borrower(a pit bull of a woman to say the least)in the past 3 days. Next.

Abzntminded

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Years ago I heard an appraiser on the phone respond to the obvious question about another fee for another appraisal with "The liability is the same." That seemed to shut them down a bit; I suspect they didn't want to open the next door with "What liability?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks