• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

N Eed To Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I am working for an appraiser in So. Florida and i have been trying to cultivate some accounts. I took this job because of the "amount" of work he had. Well after a few month's 1 a week is not alot of work. So I cultivaed some. Now heres my gripe. What distinguishes our company from others?. Speed, Accuricy, etc. I got a call from a brokerage firm in Minisota and was asked if i could do one quickly. I did all the searches, comp pulling and record pulling and was out at the site 2 hours after accepting the appraisal. the company was charged extra and i was completed around 6 hours later. i emailed it to my boss but he seems to be too busy with his own appraisals to look at this one. So there goes that account.

1- if he is so busy and i work for him shouldn't the appraisals come my way.
2- If he wants me to get work, which benefits both of us, shouldn't he take the time to satisfy the new account?.
3- The second account I have gotten for us is also waiting for the appraisal i did on Wednesday.

I think it's time for a new Cert.

Sorry to vent but this really upsets me, along with his constantly being late with the pay checks, which aren't that good anyway. :angry:

Anyone need a good hard working, will work all hours, will travel as far as necessary, Reg appraiser with "hopefully" some accounts.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Where is Minisota? Is that a county in Florida?

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I wasn't the one who was going to say it, but when you speak of your "accuracy" being the prime reason lenders want to use you, you might want to invest in a spell check program, just a word of advice.....

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
Allen,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope we see more posts from you as your career progresses.

It seems you posted mainly to vent your frustrations but you also made some comments and asked a couple of questions that indicated you might want a response. Here goes.

We don't have a lot of details about your relationship with the appraiser for which you're working. Sounds like you're a registered assistant working for a state certified and have been with him for a few months. Have you worked for anyone else since becoming registered? How are you being trained? I had the impression from reading your post that you went on the inspection for the brokerage in Minnesota by yourself. Why didn't your supervising appraiser accompany you? I find it unusual that it would be acceptable for a registered assistant to independently solicit, accept and accomplish appraisal assignments with only a few months experience.

On the surface of it, it does sound like you may need to consider another supervisory appraiser. You must find someone willing to provide you with actual training. That means going with you on inspections to show you the proper methods, showing you the right way to research data, how to select and fill out the appropriate forms, provide you with assignments that are within your level of competency and give you the personal attention you need to develop into a professional appraiser.

I don't know of anyone in your area looking for a registered assistant at this time, but I'll keep my ears open. Please keep visiting this forum, especially the newbie section, and realize that you're not alone in your search for a good supervisor. It's tough to find one and I wish you the best of luck.

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks for the advice. He has trained me. I have done a few appraisale, somewhere around 60. I know I have a lot to learn, but as for advertising for work, you do not have to be even a registered for that. Anyone can advertise. Even a regestered can accept an appraisal. with the knowledge of the supervisor. he has come along with me on many but i feel and so does he that i am past that point. I can appraise by myself, I do know the forms, I do know the values. again I have a lot to learn but that is not what this post was about. I belonged to a forum concerning salt water aquariums and there were also some smart people there also. As for comparing my mispelled words here on the forum and the quality of my work in the field is juvenile. I sure hope that the people here are a bit more mature than the kids on the aquarium forum.
I apprecialte and welcome all responces, but please If you need to resond to my mispelling, thenn haave att it.

Allen

Might have sounded kind of harsh, I didn't mean to be. The brokerage firms I am trying to get as clients don't know me from a hole in the wall, All I can offer them is good quality service. I try my hardest to perform my work in an ethical and competent manner. I have always worked my butt off and will always do that. I was trained to be a person with ethics by the best, My father. I am not a kid, I have dealt with many situations in the past that has prepared me for any undertaking that I need to undertake. My concerns are that when I want to help build someone's business and it's my name that they know, I need to make sure that my name is not trashed.

Again Thanks
Allen

Nikki Dufala

Freshman Member
just wanted to give some encouragement to your issue.

I was in the SAME situation that you are in and understand the frustration that comes along with starting out and looking for your own clients. I had business cards made up with MY cell phone #, email and my home fax #. When i get an order faxed or emailed to me I then forward it to the office so that they can open a file for it and start the necessary accounting file for the order. THis is another way to work more efficently because in my situation if i get an order after 5pm at home i can look at it, pull comps and even schedule the appointment before it would even hit the secretaries desk to be opened. The secretary that opens files leaves the office around 6pm so if anything comes in after that you are wasting time having it sit on the fax machine in the office.

Another way to advertise is to go to some on line appraisal sites that let you put your name on a message board for free. THAT is where I got my largest client.

I have even made up a packet of information (copy of my license, E&O insurance, resume, fees, etc.) in a nice folder and went door to door, this didn't work so well for me. Out of 100 offices I went to I think I only got one client, not a very good one either. I made postcards and sent them out to EVERY mortgage broker in my area. You name it, i probably did it.

As for your supervisor, if he's not willing to train you or review your work in a timely manner and is causing you to lose clients, then it might be time to find a new mentor. Being that everyone is so busy right now i'm sure you can find someone to take you on that can offer you more than 1 a week.

Keep your head up! I'm sure you'll do fine :yellowblack:

Allen Bruckner

Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks I will keep my spirits up. I was a network engineer for the past 23 years and this December i lost my eyesite in one eye. After battleing the emotional aspects of this happening I deceided to change career fields. I know that i have chosen an equally frustrating career and just as many hastles, but this is going to be my new profession and i will be a good, competent and ethical appraiser.
I appreciate the "Go gettem Attitude". I will be fine. If i need to find a new Mentor, than all I can say is this one will be losing someone who is talented and more important very loyal

Thanks
Allen

W

walt kirk

Allen,
You seem like a motivated individual with the ability to develop new accounts. Have you ever considered hiring a mentor rather than working for one? Try placing an ad in the local newspaper for an experienced appraiser for part time work. Give the mentor a fee split for his supervision of your work.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I have one trainee. She had a friend who is a loan officer and developed an account for us. I pay her more for any work she brings in. When she completes an appraisal she brings it in and we go over it together. Perhaps you need to do that with your supervisor.

Not to burst your bubble but 60 appraisals in just getting started. Our state says a registered appraiser should complete 300 to 400 before submitting their experience credits and testing for licensing.

Sounds like you need to sit down and have a long talk with your supervisor. If you can't work it out then go look for another. From what we see posted here from trainees you probably should be thankful you have a supervisor.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hello Allen;

I place loyalty very high on my list of desirable attributes and respect you for being loyal. Your first loyalty should be to yourself and your family.

I would start now and find another mentor. Once you find one, give your current mentor proper notice and finish all current work and then leave.

Leave on polite terms. but get on with your training.

Regards

Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks