• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Naifa To Merge Into Asa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
There are a few thousand members, including non-appraisal parties.. I haven't seen anything lately, but I believe the core group of designated members are less than 2,000. There are also a bunch of non-designated appraisers who have been members for several years, as they get educational discounts for being a part.

Regardless - I believe it's a really good move. The NAIFA and ASA have worked side by side in nearly every state of the union trying to improve state laws that impact our profession, while also being proactive on the federal level. Both are still supporting members of the Foundation.

No offense to AI, but I get very confused as to their intentions sometimes. I am told that all the professional associations that involve us, have lost members over the years. I would strongly recommend all appraisers to consider becoming part of a group, as it is becoming more difficult to have a voice without organization. I've been designated in the NAIFA for over 25 years.

Last edited:

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I have never been a member of NAIFA but I have attended its educational events and I was impressed. A merger with ASA seems to be a good move providing stronger competition with the AI which, I believe, has hurt the cause of residential appraisers

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
NAIFA committed suicide years ago. Sad. They had a real opportunity at one time to rival AI. They were financially sound and out of debt. Then they blew millions on a wasted effort lobbying and failed to maintain any sort of decent publication department. John Wilkerson tried to get them back on a sound footing but it was too late. They have struggled since. ASA stayed true to their core, perhaps this will be a benefit to both.

Professional Status
State
Florida
NAIFA committed suicide years ago. Sad. They had a real opportunity at one time to rival AI. They were financially sound and out of debt. Then they blew millions on a wasted effort lobbying and failed to maintain any sort of decent publication department. John Wilkerson tried to get them back on a sound footing but it was too late. They have struggled since. ASA stayed true to their core, perhaps this will be a benefit to both.
I remember when NAIFA began to gain traction. A family member who was completely put off by the protectionist-attitude of the local AI chapter joined for the designation. It was easy to get back then, and the core membership was of solid "non-joiners" who saw the AI gaining with industry-recolonization of their professional designations after the Society merger. ASA was more "conservative" and kept it academic. I hope the merger works because the IFAs and ASAs I know are good professionals.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Successful and sustainable professional appraiser organizations are a good thing!

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
Successful and sustainable professional appraiser organizations are a good thing!

I suppose this is unlikely, but maybe this will make it easier for a real estate appraiser to get certification to appraise going concerns of over $250k. The barrier of entry has been too difficult.

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
d

John Wilkerson has worked very hard for NAIFA.

The merger has been a long time coming, and ought to benefit the members of each organization.

(FWIW, some of the NAIFA instructors I've taken CE from were among the best teachers I've been exposed to.)

peturner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
This is a great thing for residential appraisers.
All should join in order to be accurately and fairly represented!
There are no hidden agendas or huge egos that are completely out of touch with our reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks