• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NAMB not happy about the Fannie/Freddie thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Workbox

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
There goes their skippy.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I don't see why a ethical broker would object. The only ones running scared are the ones with appraisers in their pockets.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Actually, I believe NAMB has a legal point and I believe they can prevail.

These agreements amount to a de facto regulatory action by OFHEO which avoids the appropriate process. The law provides for a process to implement regulatory and policy changes such as those contemplated and specified in these agreements. These agreements will increase costs to consumers by removing thousands of small business competitors from the marketplace. They will create a severe disadvantage to small business mortgage brokers, and prevent them from engaging competitively in the mortgage marketplace.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Actually, I believe NAMB has a legal point and I believe they can prevail.

I think that it is clear that the parties involved didn't want to get too much input from namby pamby.

There is a reason for that. They can try to block this, but it will just come from some other angle.

The golden rule applies, and FNMA and Freddie have the gold, at least about 70 percent of it.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I think that it is clear that the parties involved didn't want to get too much input from namby pamby.

There is a reason for that. They can try to block this, but it will just come from some other angle.

The golden rule applies, and FNMA and Freddie have the gold, at least about 70 percent of it.
I think it is clear that no one involved wanted the appraisers (as represented by Pam) to give an input.

Of course, we appraisers are branded as part of the problem, not as a part of any solution. :(

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
These agreements amount to a de facto regulatory action by OFHEO which avoids the appropriate process. The law provides for a process to implement regulatory and policy changes such as those contemplated and specified in these agreements. These agreements will increase costs to consumers by removing thousands of small business competitors from the marketplace. They will create a severe disadvantage to small business mortgage brokers, and prevent them from engaging competitively in the mortgage marketplace.

brokers on the "other forum" are arguing exactly the opposite. They state that appraisers will be hurt more than brokers because they will be forced to accept low fee assignments from AMC's.

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
That says it all.

I think it is clear that no one involved wanted the appraisers (as represented by Pam) to give an input.

Of course, we appraisers are branded as part of the problem, not as a part of any solution. :(

Scary. The solution(s) have been flying around this forum for months but God forbid anyone searches them out. I have personally been e-mailing all the powers that be for months(including Cuomo's office) too many times to count. I have not gotten so much as one return e-mail with the exception of one reporter.

Abzntminded

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
"These agreements amount to a de facto regulatory action by OFHEO which avoids the appropriate process."

NAMB doesn't believe in government regulation. After all, the lending industry has been working so beautifully without it...

If they hadn't killed the goose that lays the golden eggs these last few years there wouldn't be any threat of regulation.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
brokers on the "other forum" are arguing exactly the opposite. They state that appraisers will be hurt more than brokers because they will be forced to accept low fee assignments from AMC's.

I think that is bravado on their part. The didn't seem to be aware of this until an AF member posted it for their erudition.

I think the NAMB argument is a little weak in light of the subprime crisis. How can they claim that they consumer is going to be hurt by this proposal?

Of course they are getting it from all sides. This was issued today regarding HUD changes to the mortgage process.

4. All fees paid to mortgage brokers by a lender in connection with the interest rate charged to the consumer must now be disclosed and listed on the Good Faith Estimate as a "credit to the borrower." Brokers are likely to oppose this strenuously, arguing that competing loan originators -- such as retail bank personnel -- are not required to disclose fees they receive in connection with higher note rates.

Times are a changing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks