• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Nar Ethics Requirement For Appraisers - New To Me; How About You ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutigerfan

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
Sent to me tonight:
Deadline for completion of this membership requirement is coming quickly – December 31, 2016. This is not a license requirement so it does apply to Appraisers – however since now we do not have a class specific to appraisers if you will the review the following attachments and confirm your review, when & where you took your last USPAP we can mark you as completed on this NAR membership requirement. Please email this information to XXXXXXX

Following is the link to a cheat sheet to show you which parts of the Code of Ethics apply to you as an appraiser as well as a copy of the most current Code of Ethics.

NAR is currently working on a free online course on the code for appraisers. As soon as that has been completed & is up at www.realtor.org you will be required to take it for future cycles.

Thanks, in advance for your assistance with this.

Respectfully,

Debbie S

XXXX Executive Assistant/PS Manager

Free - for how long ?
Want MLS - get in line with NAR. Nice bedfellows.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Woosey requirement take on line, hard to fail. read then answer. test at end. I've had to take for about 8 years now. RE questions.

Summary is don't lie to your client or broker. Lying to appraiser, other agents and their clients is OK :)

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Sales people here, that have been licensed more than 5 years have to take the ethics class before the end of December to be able to maintain their membership in RE Board. I don't know if they can kick appraisers out of the board for not taking an ethics class, but they can kick out agents.

Be wary of these types of requirements because your MLS access depends on you being a member, or, you will be left with buying bulk data such as Zillow and Trulia do, and those are bills you really don't want to pay.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
It would be nice if they made mandatory some classes for salespeople on what appraisers actually do, while they are at it.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
"I don't know if they can kick appraisers out of the board for not taking an ethics class,"

U betcha they can. Quadrennial Ethics Course is mandatory.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
betcha they can. Quadrennial Ethics Course is mandatory.
It's mandatory if you are an appraiser Realtor (you don't have to have a RE Lic.) but if an associate member, you are not considered a Realtor. No QEC required. That was the way it was explained to me.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
It's mandatory if you are an appraiser Realtor

Correct. If becoming a Realtor is a prerequisite to join your local MLS as a Designated or Associate member, you are required to take the quadrennial Ethics course.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Correct. If becoming a Realtor is a prerequisite to join your local MLS as a Designated or Associate member, you are required to take the quadrennial Ethics course.
That is the way it is in my market. I had to become a REALTOR in order to get MLS access, and that meant I had to take the Ethics Course.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
It's mandatory if you are an appraiser Realtor (you don't have to have a RE Lic.) but if an associate member, you are not considered a Realtor. No QEC required. That was the way it was explained to me.
Not here. No takie no playie. What that tells me is it depends on the local board of realtors if they control the MLS.

That makes sense because the local board is responsible for enforcing the NAR realtor code of ethics. They cant take a realtor's license but they can put some serious discipline on them like $15,000 fines and suspension from the local association. So they can't take an appraiser's license but they can boot them from access to the MLS and being an associate member in a New York minute for not taking that ethics course. I believe my last email from them said every 4 years.

I don't need CE for it so I take the free one through NAR at realtor.org. It's under the education tab. You have to be a member or associate member to take it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks