• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Nar, Realtor Code Of Ethics Required Course For Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
This is a followup to the thread:

http://appraisersforum.com/forums/t...or-appraisers-new-to-me-how-about-you.214524/

I received an email yesterday informing me I had to take the Realtor Code of Ethics course before the end of the year.

I called my local Board of Realtors (BOR) and asked why since I'm an Appraiser. The BOR staff member agreed it didn't make sense and wanted to investigate then get back to me. When she called me back, she informed me that NAR is now requiring all Realtor members to take the Realtors Code of Ethics course every four years. This includes anyone who joins a local board of realtors to access the MLS. I asked why, she did not have an answer.

I then requested the NAR contact so I could ask NAR why they require an Appraiser to take a Realtor's Code of Ethics course. When I called NAR, nobody could answer my question and I was transferred to several different people. I finally spoke with someone who said this is a new NAR requirement for all Realtors (anyone who joins a local board of realtors). The guy also said NAR has split the Code of Ethics course into different sections so the user may select the sections which apply to him. There are a couple appraiser sections, see NAR link.

http://www.realtor.org/code-of-ethics/training

I took the revamped online Code of Ethics course this evening and selected the appraiser sections. There were mistakes and issues on approx. every other slide. Many of these contradict the USPAP requlations. This is a huge mistake by NAR and creates more confusion. I've already submitted my course review and messages to NAR and local board.

NAR is attempting to regulate and maintain disciplinary control over Appraisers. NAR has no business doing this and is overreaching their authority. The Appraisal industry is regulated and disciplined by the Appraisal Foundation, Appraisal Subcommittee and state regulatory boards.

NAR is attempting to blackmail the Appraisers by forcing the Appraiser to agree to NAR's terms or cutting off the Appraiser's access to MLS. This is the latest attempt by NAR to take over the appraisal industry regulation. NAR also applies one set of standards to Real Estate Agents, and a different set of standards to Appraisers.

The agencies overseeing the Appraisal industry (ASC, AF, state regulatory agencies) should put a stop to NAR's attempted encroachment onto their turf. Is anyone out there listening ?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
There are a couple appraiser sections, see NAR link.
Those are as meaningful as a life jacket on a fish.
There were mistakes and issues on approx. every other slide.
Yes
Is anyone out there listening ?
No. It is a way to profit and punish appraisers for not being "team players" . Next cycle I intend to quit. The fact the NAR allows agents and brokers to blacklist, pressure or/or lie to the Realtor Appraiser members is an insult but the boards look the other way. Take that class in person where no one knows you are an appraiser and see what they think of you.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I contacted my local board and was told I can submit my certificate from the last USPAP update and it will be accepted in lieu of the NAR course.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
NAR is attempting to regulate and maintain disciplinary control over Appraisers. NAR has no business doing this and is overreaching their authority. The Appraisal industry is regulated and disciplined by the Appraisal Foundation, Appraisal Subcommittee and state regulatory boards.

NAR is attempting to blackmail the Appraisers by forcing the Appraiser to agree to NAR's terms or cutting off the Appraiser's access to MLS. This is the latest attempt by NAR to take over the appraisal industry regulation. NAR also applies one set of standards to Real Estate Agents, and a different set of standards to Appraisers.

The agencies overseeing the Appraisal industry (ASC, AF, state regulatory agencies) should put a stop to NAR's attempted encroachment onto their turf. Is anyone out there listening ?

This is not governmental regulation in any sense. This is a PRIVATE real estate and appraisal trade group. If you want access to MLS you have to take the 3 hour class. Not a big deal;.

No blackmail here. The information we get is very expensive, not for the general public to access. No one is forced to join. Their Code of Ethics" is totally different from the state and ferderal LAWS that that require we appraisers adhere to USPAP including the Ethics section.

Again, the NAR is not encroaching at all on any government agaency. NAR is private sector, those you mention are govermental.

Last edited:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
NAR also applies one set of standards to Real Estate Agents, and a different set of standards to Appraisers.
That's a local issue. There was no option to take any other class when I took it. And, the live class is one class, ditto...nothing whatsoever to do with "appraisal" except those *(*)&^ appraisers are killing my deals.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
That's a local issue. There was no option to take any other class when I took it. And, the live class is one class, ditto...nothing whatsoever to do with "appraisal" except those *(*)&^ appraisers are killing my deals.

That is NOT my quote it was the OP's post.

The NAR Ethics Class is not a LOCAL issue. NAR hands it down to the state level (NCAR, North Carolina Association of Realtors) and they hand it down it all of the local (city or count or regional) boards. The local board can not pick and choose from the Code of Ethics. They are REQUIRED to make sure everyone who is a member or using MLS data Takes the class. I have taken the class for many years. You learn interesting facts that can help you.

This Code of Ethics says.........
  • Standard of Practice 1-3
REALTORS®, in attempting to secure a listing, shall not deliberately mislead the owner as to market value.

I have used that one many times to shut-up a Realtor who can't support their list or sales price and try to blame it on an appraiser. ANYONE can file a complaint a Realtor with the local NAR affiliate or the state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Take the little test, it will not kill you.
I did and have for a dozen years or so. But there are no appraisal related questions and some BoR's don't require appraisers to be Appraiser Realtors, rather allow them to be Associates. We were associates until some MLS changes meant they needed to squeeze more cash from everyone. Again I've taken the LIVE class which included both ethics and 3½ hr. of liability issues. The NAR says they have "specialized content for appraisers" but the options given me did not include same unless I overlooked it, or more changed recently, as I took the course months ago. But my memory isn't so bad that I recall anything either appraisal related or even moderately useful. The test online took about 1½ hours to finish. It is a pointless exercise for appraisers at best, and suspect agents found it only marginally more illuminating than I. The liability issues (live) class part was far more interesting and certainly RE agents and brokers are at least as exposed, if not more so, than appraisers to complaints.

I have used that one many times to shut-up a Realtor
Have you (or any other appraiser you've heard of) filed a complaint to your local board against an agent for blacklisting you, lying to you, or threatening to file a complaint against you over an appraisal? Do you think you would prevail if you did? How could you get it past that first fact finding investigation when they will all be agents/brokers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks