• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

national appraisers union

Status
Not open for further replies.

moretti

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Not sure if this has been shown before, but I got a card in the mail yesterday advertising a national appraisers union.

it says are you completly fed up with

being pressured to inflate values?
being forced to accept low appraisal fees?
doing free comp searches?

the website they provide is www.nomorepressure.org

all the things they talk about sound nice in theory, but I am not sure how realistic it would be to actually make these changes. I guess you could call me a pessimist but seems like it would take a ton of people to have to go with it.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Seems like the largest appraisal "union" in the country, the Appraisal Institute, is lowering standards for designations and struggling to keep membership. If the best in the business cant do it .. its doubtful a newbie on the block has much to offer.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
(for reader - and PE's edification:new_smile-l: - the paragraph below was copied and pasted from the WEBSITE and are not assertions, statements, comments, hopes nor dreams of low-flying Piglets OR this Poster):)

"With your help and the help of every trainee, licensed, certified and general appraiser across the country, we will stop comp searches and lender pressure, we will start charging our own fees regardless of the client, we will fight to establish and enforce regulations pertaining to AVMs and we will finally have a voice to deal with any other issues which negatively affect our profession. It’s simple! Appraisers need to unite and in one unified voice declare “NO MORE PRESSURE”!!"

websites' Mission Statement contains several "WILLS"...... yet fails to define "HOW" in Realistic Terms.

"At this point, you will be provided with all of the member documents including sample letters to complete and submit to your clients. These letters will state that you are a member of the National Appraisers Union, and that you will no longer be performing comp checks, allowing pressure of any kind to influence the valuation process or accept any fees other than your own. Furthermore, your clients will become aware that your decision comes with the full endorsement and support of the organization."

Client: Dear former appraisal partner, congratulations on your decision to join the new NAU. Unfortunately, your services will no longer be required. Good Luck and Have a Nice Day.

---------
opinion: any collective effort to radically impact the industry MUST, and rightly so, be directed at the Source i.e. STATE Elected Officials and State Appraisal Boards.

Last edited:

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
With your help and the help of every trainee, licensed, certified and general appraiser across the country, we will stop comp searches and lender pressure, we will start charging our own fees regardless of the client, we will fight to establish and enforce regulations pertaining to AVMs and we will finally have a voice to deal with any other issues which negatively affect our profession. It’s simple! Appraisers need to unite and in one unified voice declare “NO MORE PRESSURE”!!

websites' Mission Statement contains several "WILLS"...... yet fails to define "HOW".

(MY RED BOLD) ..... Mr. Kennedy .. when Pigs start flying!!! One unified voice, forgive me but ......... :rof:

(PS .. I wanted the smiley with rose colored glasses but couldnt find it ...)

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
PE. ........ the paragraph was copied and pasted from the website.

Low-flying Piglets are, thankfully, not native to the Hudson Valley. :rof:

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Maybe the union start up folks could start by unifying all the other union start up wannabes into one "voice". That would be a start.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Actually if you think about it .... long time appraisers have been unified for quite some time, doing QUALITY work, for QUALITY clients, taking all the QUALITY time it takes to complete a QUALITY assignment.

See a trend here?

My guess is everyone with a license below certified may join, and those certified less than 3 years may also ... atleast the group will be easier to identify.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Yup .......their official emblem flies above.

Scott Lanz

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I think PE is right on.

I have already accomplished the wish list without an annual fee.

Scott J. Lanz

Last edited:

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Ditto PE and Scott.

Appraisers have to do for themselves first. Nobody is going to do it for you. It's the main problem with many of these startups. It's all about stopping, or more accurately, talking, about lender pressure. Appraiser competence and ethics don't seem to be an issue...to have such requirements in place impacts membership and fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks