• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NCAB appointee declines to accept appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
BOB IPOCK & ASSOCIATES, INC.
1218 Heatherloch Drive
Gastonia, NC 28054
704 867-1985
704 868-9736
[email protected]

Representative James B. Black
Speaker of the House of Representatives
NC General Assembly
2304 Legislative Building
Raleigh, NC 27601-1096

Speaker Black,

I fully understand that I will not be appointed to the NCAB. The purpose of this letter is not to request that I be appointed. It has been made clear to me that I will not be appointed due to my being a registered Republican and having been too honest and outspoken with regard to the NCAB. I can certainly live with that.

It is my understanding that David Hoyle, Jr. has declined to be appointed.
The purpose of this letter is to ask that you give careful thought and consideration to who will be appointed. It disturbs me that a part time appraiser who had never expressed any interest in the NCAB, had not filed an application or resume and had never been contacted concerning an appointment would be appointed. I believe that you were given some very poor advice on this appointment. Several current NCAB members were calling all over the state trying to find someone (Democrats only) to be appointed on the eve of the final session of the NC State House. I can assure you that the problems with the NCAB will not get any better if the current, members are picking new members. Change is needed....not more of the same.

North Carolina citizens (and appraisers as well) deserve an honest, ethical and informed appraisal board. Appraisal fraud is rampant all across the state. The FBI has several current investigation ongoing pertaining to mortgage and appraisal fraud. Foreclosure and bankruptcy rates are at an all time high in North Carolina and much of it goes back to inflated, fraudulent appraisals. The NCAB often is one year behind on complaints being
handled. There is no justice, swift, sure or otherwise.

I am sure that most people would not consider the appraisal board to be of much importance. However, it is in fact hugely important to the thousands of homeowners who have found that they are “upside down” on their mortgage and are unable to sell, move or refinance. No one is protecting these consumers. The Predatory Lending Law means very little as long as values are inflated to create equity and chain people to an over mortgaged home.

I urge you to find the best possible person for your appointment to the NCAB. I hope you will base your decision on qualifications, ethics, honesty and willingness to serve. Very few appraisers in NC care if the NCAB members are Democrats or Republicans, male or female or connected to any special interest group. We appraisers simply want the best possible leaders to sit in judgment of us and to encourage honest and competent appraisal practice.

Kindest regards,

Robert D. Ipock

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Very well written letter. I also commend Mr. Hoyle on turning down his appointment. Evidently, he has some morals, or suffered an attack of guilt.

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>I agree with Ben. Good reading letter, Bob.

I haven't a clue what's going on with that appointment. However, I am very much in favor of Ms. Simpson's appointment as we need an attorney on the Board (they do not always get good legal advice there to say the least), and we need a female on the Board (to help break up the GOB syndrome), and we also need someone with a good understanding right from the start regarding the particular set of problems there. She does know at least part of them -- some of the more serious ones. I know that for a fact.

Keep us posted.

dcj

PS. I got the pictures of your project car you emailed to several of us today. Nice work. May have lit a fire in me to get mine spruced up a bit for its 200,000 mile "anniversary" coming up in less than 20,000 miles. It has officially been a classic for about six or seven years (1986 BMW 325).</span>

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
David,

BMW???.......who the hell would spend money on them...parts are too expensive.... :lol: :lol: I gave an old 1985 535i to my daughter with 300,000 miles on it and it died the other day. I was messing around with the fuel injection and was shocked to see that the FI computer was $1800.....Cheapest catalytic converter is like $900 to $2,000. I'm used to popular (cheap) prices for the Corvette. Thankfully, it wasn't the FI computer but a loose fuse connection/holder in the fuse box. Got to give the BMW's credit though, with over 300,000 on it, you can redline it with no smoke....not too shabby. Hey, do you have those crazy metric tires/rims on yours that you can't buy anywhere or if you can get them, they're $200 per tire? Mine were 390's so I converted the rims to 15" to buy the Pep Boys cheapie tires for her. Now that was a great feat of German engineering...metric tires/rims.

Now if business would slow down, I could knock some dents out of my old Porsche sitting in the driveway that the wife killed at the mall parking lot.

Ben

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>Ben,

Mine are the standard 14 inch wheels/rims. There are so many running around with that size that, metric or not, it has never been any problem getting tires. In fact the ones on it now came from Sams, and they were pretty cheap.

"Got to give the BMW's credit though, with over
300,000 on it, you can redline it with no smoke
....not too shabby."

I was going to jump all over you for just getting that fine machine warmed up and broken in right -- And Then Giving It Away! But, then I remembered you mentioned it was to your daughter so at least you're keeping it in the family (while I still don't completely approve).

Have you upgraded the chip in the main computer? That would run about $200 (& takes 20 minutes to do) and would add a good bit of performance / power (including a higher redline limit) now that your / her young beamer has safely navigated its adolescence years / miles?

dcj

PS. "Corvette"? "Porsche"? What, some kind of dirt bikes? Cool !!</span>

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Now I don't feel too bad. Just bought an 88 Beamer for my wife. Was worried that it would be a piece of kaka. Less than 120k on it. But, she wanted the thing. Hopefully, you guys are right. All anyone tells me is that the headlights are four hundred bucks a pop.
One goes out, she'll just have to duct tape a flashlight on the hood. :lol:

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
David,

Dirt bikes??? You want to talk dirt bikes......well since pop is an old WWII mud marine, I never could drive Jap ones so I always rode Husqvarna's. Alas, I'm a little too old for that now. My last one was a 430WR. Had some great trips to George Washington National Forest in West VA in my younger days outside of Fort Seybert to Camp Run. The old Husky never failed to make it across those W. VA streams with water up to the seat. The Japo's, well... at least I could catch a smoke while they turned them upside down to get the water out. Of course, I was the only one praying to make it back to camp after 90 miles around the German River-they never did get great gas mileage. :lol: :lol:

Ben

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Ben

Only 120,000 on it? You'll grow to hate the exterior styling before the thing dies...mechanically, they just go and go. As I said in my earlier post, hopefully you don't have the metric rims/tires that were popular in the 1980's. They are a pain to replace. You'll actually come out cheaper buying new 15" rims and tires. Mine had Michelin 390's (390 CM around the rim-they don't use diameter like American tires). Only one place still had them and they were $200 per tire for 20 year old technology.

A good website for do it yourself info is www.unofficialbmw.com

It's broken down by body style and has lots of good stuff like how to turn off those stupid engine maintenance lights that go from green to yellow to red....

Ben

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>Ben the First,

Another good resource is Bavarian AutoSport: 800-535-2002. They have real good prices on parts, and most all the "operators" are well versed on repair procedures. These cars were made to be easy for the owner to work on, consequently they are laid out differently, consequently, keep non-BMW mechanics the hell away from them. No joke.

Ben the Other First mentioned the maintenance lights. I use a 10-foot section of high quality stereo speaker "wire." The two leads of one end are placed in the correct locations in the diagnostic interface / connector under the hood, and the leads from the other end are in my hand when I turn the ignition a couple of clicks. Then I touch the two leads together. That does it real well. It resets it. You will need to get the correct schematic for your diagnostic interface to make sure you don't short out the wrong system.

There are a couple of online forums where you can get about any conceivable question about your model answered by the participants. Some of these guys and gals are as good as any mechanic you can find -- in fact, some of them are mechanics.

My guess is you will be happy with that car, and so will your great grandchildren!

Ben the Other First,

Dad was post-WWII Navy, so I was able to get away with a rice burner, a Suzuki 100 Enduro. Loved that bike. Mileage? To be exact, I think I was getting a little over several hundred miles per gallon. It is now retired to a cattle and corn farm, in western NC, and is cared for by the adult little brother of my favorite farmer's daughter. (She says I was her favorite industrial engineer's son.)

Prior to the burner was a Techumski-powered mini-bike on a first name basis with all the local welders. It succumbed regularly to many a too-rough landing after Michael Jordan-type extended air times. Unfortunately, just after I had chemically stripped all the old factory paint, reprimed, repainted, and put it all back together to give to my little brother, it was promptly bike-napped from the garage. Bummer.

Thoes were the days. These days, I probably miss my old two-wheeled buddies as much as I do my favorite farmer's daughter. Well, maybe...

Bob,

Thanks for not kicking us out of your thread. It won't happen again!

(At least 'til the next time.) :D

dcj</span>

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:lol: RD400 Yamaha hahaha
Road-racer extraordinairre,
with a whine that sounded like a low-flying mosquito that could be heard 3 miles away on a quiet night...

Coastal mountain roads at high speed were a great way to end a day :wink:

I was never caought by anyone with a multi-colored light on top :twisted:
and NEVER broke me or the bike 8)
Dumb luck works! :oops:

((seconding the apology for the thread highjack :( ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks