• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Nearly 13 Million $ In Inflated Appraisals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
A few years ago, we had a good loan officer make a very bad decision. His management recommended he not make any further loans to a local rancher/investor type who was his friend. They felt they were in as deep as they wanted. Sure enough he made a large loan to the guy on a sure thing investment and he went bellly up.....took the loan officer down with him.

Often these cases are not a series of borrowers, but a string of related properties with one borrower.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
They're worried about inflated values with appraisals. How about the inflated/fraudulent values using AVMs. I wonder why they haven't looked at those.

Roger

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hire a review appraiser! They knew exactally what they were doing and now are trying to focus the blame on the appraiser. What a lame excuse for their own bad managment and greedy fingers.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Same old story....lay the blame on the appraiser! Shades of the 80s and the RTC. Actually, I think this will end up as a blessing for those of us who do a good job, don't inflate values, and stay the course.

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Nevada
Mike has a point ... it may be a blessing in the long run .... but considering all of the posts I've read here regarding bad appraisers and all of the poor appraisal work that I've seen, why wouldn't the public/investors, FED's etc blame it on the appraiser/appraisal?

I'm not saying that blame isn't due the LO's, management, agents, etc ... but a lot goes directly to those who knowingly or willingly participate in making or supporting such loans ... and from what I've seen over the years ... a lot of that goes directly back to the appraisers and some very creative reports... they simply didn't do what they were suppose to do ... they did what someone wanted them to do.

Its been a problem for as long as I can remember and I've been in this business since 1975.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
As long as anyone with a commission on the line has any say what-so-ever in who gets the appraisal order..... there WILL be number hitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks