• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Neebie to this forum- look like great resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Olchin

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I'm in northern mountain area- Colorado - have schooled, passes state exam, contacted assessors offices state wide, called almost every appraiser in Colorado phone books, contacted all local appraisers in mountain community I live in (Grand). With no results of oppertunity.
I understand this will be a long road to haul. I do not want to look forever as we all must make some sort of living.
I'm new to this forum , and will use it as a valuable tool, with input from all you helful folks- mabey someday that oppertunity will come about- Happy Holidays to all- :)

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I'm in northern mountain area- Colorado - have schooled, passes state exam, contacted assessors offices state wide, called almost every appraiser in Colorado phone books, contacted all local appraisers in mountain community I live in (Grand). With no results of oppertunity.
I understand this will be a long road to haul. I do not want to look forever as we all must make some sort of living.
I'm new to this forum , and will use it as a valuable tool, with input from all you helful folks- mabey someday that oppertunity will come about- Happy Holidays to all- :)

Welcome Robert!
Wish I knew someone up there that I could refer you to, but I don't know anyone. Have you asked the local real estate people in your area? Many appraisers don't list themselves in the phone books because they already have an established client base and don't need to. Best bet is an old timer who could use a hand and has lots of experience in the territories you'd like to work in.
I wandered around for almost a year before I found a mentor too, so I know what you're going through. Easy to get discouraged, but just keep putting your name out there to anyone and everyone that you run across who is in the real estate or lending businesses.
Spend some time looking through the Newbies/Wannabes section of this forum. It's full of valuable information and will keep you on top of things.

Best of luck to ya,

Dee Dee

Robert Olchin

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thanks Dee Dee- Give me a better understanding why real estate brokers would have more leads than the lending institutes? I thought that only the banks, lending institutes call for appraisals. I have also contacted government offices for condimnation work, HUD certified appraisers looking for an assistant- but please keep the comments coming- they are what we all need- Take care :?

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Robert,

Real estate brokers know the local appraisers, since they are the ones who set up the appointments with the appraiser who will be inspecting homes that they have listed and are under contract.

Not all homebuyers use local lenders, often shopping for their loans via the internet or other sources, so you might be surprised that there are probably active appraisers in your area who the local lenders barely know, but who are on approved appraiser lists of major investors throughout the country. Local real estate brokers probably have met these appraisers at some point and may be able to give you some promising leads.

Though I'm not a big advocate of snuggling up to real estate brokers too much, they are definately people who you will have to converse with on a regular basis in this business. No doubt there are some big name Realtors in your neck of the woods who tend to do more business than the rest....start with them first, because they'll know more people.

Dee Dee

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
The NAIFA and AI chapters should have newsletters. Also, visit the chapter meetings and network. Have you talked with banks, etc about internal appraisal jobs?

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado

The ERC directory lists five appraisers in Grand Junction. Usually people who do this type of work can be quite busy.

Mary Jane Broom, Steve Bruce, Jill Cross, Gary Lucero, and Tom Nielson. You might also check with Value IT out of Denver, the often hire appraisers in remote areas and have them do the field work.

Welcome to the forum...yes, you can get an education here albiet sometimes slanted.

I wish you well!

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Mike,

Who and what is Value IT? Never heard of them before.

Dee Dee

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Value IT is the appraisal management company for Wells Fargo--and occasionaly other lenders. They have had many name changes (although the name Value IT is spoken most of the time); eAppraiseIT, First American, RESDirect, Advanced Collateral Solutions, etc. I sometimes think every check has a different name on it! If the AMC is in Bloomington, MN or another suburb of Minneapolis, it is probably ValueIT, regardless of name. The Bloomington branch will only accept email files completed in ACI software, they won't acceptt pdf files and they will not accept faxes. So for them (since I use Day One) I have to add $25 shipping charges to my fee and send three copies of the entire report to them by UPS, usually costs me about $17 and they have it the next day. Their branch in CA, which is now on the east cost, and use to be First American before ValueIT bought them (that is when the name changed to eAppraiseIT) will accept pdf files--but you have to make sure your file was created in your software to their file number (not yours) and then their computer can accept a pdf email regardless of the software used. The CA/east coast branch still uses their TRW/SMS/First American bookkeeping system with their vendor numbers. The Advanced Collateral Solutions (latest name on check for an eAppraiseIT order) uses the Norwest bookkeeping system from about 10 years ago with Norwest vendor numbers. The orders lately have used the name of eAppraiseIT, but the company that issues the check plays musical chairs with the name on the check. Gets my bookkeeping system very confusing. At least, no matter what name they use, they do pay within a few weeks--and I can figure out which report has been paid regardless of what name is on the check! The 1099s at the end of the year get confusing too--because each name will issue a 1099 for the checks they cut, but they all apply to eAppraiseIT/ValueIT orders.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Re-reading Mike's posting reminded me--the Denver and Kansas City offices sometimes call to find out if a property is in my area and what my turn around time will be. Then a few days later the fax comes from MN ordering the appraisal.

Robert Olchin

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thank you Mr.Garrett for your reply.
I am in Grand County- 90 miles west of Denver over Berthoud pass. Towns in the county or Winter Park, Granby, Grand Lake, Kremmling. I will also call Value IT (knowbody is answering today)
I wonder though? Being only entering the proffession as a registered appraiser with no hours loged yet. That even doing some leg work for them in remote areas will still require a senior appraiser to drive to the site and confirm my work.
It seems my only hope will be for a senior appraiser to let me start and learn from her/ him or to get work through the county assessors office. In doing the latter( assessors office), they must know the are the training grounds for future appraisers. It would not seem proper to take a position knowing that in a year or two you will want to leave. Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks