• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need A full Bone In Country Ham for Christmas Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I am looking to order a sugar cured or salt cured Country Ham. One that has hung for at least 5 or 6 months after being cured.

In the past we have gotten them for the TOOT, TOOT Restrauant in Bethany, Mo.

Or from Burgers Smokehouse at California, Mo. The family has been buying there since 1952. (Uncle and Aunt had a farm there and Aunt was from there).

But this time I am looking for something a bit different. Any good places you know out there.

I really want this to be a great christmas dinner for our guest. Something you really can get just anywhere.

Please stay away from an Armour Canned Ham. That has already been suggested by some of the hands at the ranch.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Believe it or not, Wally World (Food Center) carries dry cured hams. They usually have them hanging up by the meat department.

Now, if you want a really good Ham for Easter, PM me and I'll send you the recipe to cure your own. Takes about 6 weeks of curing and about 2 days of smoking, but after having your own cured ham, you will never want to go back to one of those sloppy, injected, chemical laden masses of flesh you get at the store.

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Smithfield Ham

Used to live in Suffolk, VA. Hands down winner of the best ham you will ever eat is Smithfield Ham. For some ham history visit:

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Consumer/Timeline/

To order one go to:

http://www.smithfieldhams.com/category/3

Not cheap. Best ham you will ever eat.

From the Smithfield Timeline link above:

1902 P.D. Gwaltney, Jr., had kept a ham cured for 20 years. Gwaltney had the ham insured for $1,000 against fire or theft. Gwaltney's famous ham can be viewed in the Isle of Wight Museum celebrating its "100th Birthday" in 2002. It was advertised as the "World's Oldest Smithfield Ham." As I recall, in the 1940's someone cut a slice off that ham and ate it. It was still good.

Gotta say it again, Smithfield hams are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Is any ham better then a Honey Baked Ham?

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Honey Baked Ham= Cheese Whiz

For a truly delicious ham, get a Smithfield Ham. If you can't get one in Nevada, order one online. If you have never dealt with a salt cured country ham be sure to read up on prep and cooking.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Lol,I am not much of a ham person as it is. What about a Black Forest Ham?

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Vegan 702

Lol,I am not much of a ham person as it is. What about a Black Forest Ham?

Black Forest Ham........made by friggin Nazi's. If I want ham made by the Waffen SS, I'll fly to Deutschland.

I'm tellin ya pal, it's gotta be SMITHFIELD HAM!!!!!!! Made with love, even the pigs are proud to die to be a Smithfield Ham.......proud pigs=great ham.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I heard a radio segment and they said Smithfield is the one!

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Smithfields are kind of overhyped. They're too salty even after a couple of days of pain in the neck prep'ing. And they're about $100 bucks by the time you get them unless you live in Virginia. They're also a bit on the dry and flaky side and a little too "pink." Must be all the peanuts they feed 'em. Besides, who wants to eat a piece of meat that's been dead longer than your dog's been alive.

Ray... by the time you've driven them around the farm, over the river and through the woods in the sleigh, sloshed them with alchol and poured them into your dining room do you really think they'll be paying attention to "ham nuances?"

Ron D. in NWA

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Look at Petit Jean Meats from Morrilton Arkansas. Here is their address.
http://www.petitjeanmeats.com/
I think they will send it straight to your door. Their speciality is the smoked hams and they have a good peppered ham also if you like a little more spice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks