• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Our office uses a mainframe and runs like windows in a DOS shell..that is all I know.

This is an ASSESSOR'S OFFICE

We use some software called MAGIC to take sketches from APEX into our mainframe.

We have been told that there is no new version of APEX that will work with our computers--OLD AND DECREPIT. We have no support for the version we use.

When the 6- 10 year old laptops we use go bye bye, our office will lose the ability to make sketches and then save them to our database.

does anyone know of a cheap, no frills alternative that will work with our office computers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Our office uses a mainframe and runs like windows in a DOS shell..that is all I know.

This is an ASSESSOR'S OFFICE

We use some software called MAGIC to take sketches from APEX into our mainframe.

We have been told that there is no new version of APEX that will work with our computers--OLD AND DECREPIT. We have no support for the version we use.

When the 6- 10 year old laptops we use go bye bye, our office will lose the ability to make sketches and then save them to our database.

does anyone know of a cheap, no frills alternative that will work with our office computers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Larry,

Why not call Apex?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Send up a bat signal for Randell Garrett. He's usually around when he's not playing with his gadget(s).

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Can you print then scan the image?

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Larry,

Give me a shout and let me see if I can help. As a fellow member of IAAO, I am familiar with a wide variety of Assessor-specific issues/environments. We have a group in from a western jurisdiction today and tomorrow to discuss a custom project, so I might not be able to answer immediately, but I will check here and my email from time to time to see if you've written. My email address is spelled out below if you'd like to write me there. Just let me know your jurisdiction name, your CAMA company/environment and any other preliminary details, and I'll get back with you to set up a call if that will help.

email address: rgarrett [at] apexwin [dot] com

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
OK. I may have posted this in the wrong thread. We did call APEX and they told us without a large, large upgrade...they weren't the option for us.

I guess we don't have the budget.

The problem is that the technology used by apex has surpassed our ability to intergrate/interface with it.:angry:

We are looking for an ALTERNATIVE to APEX, perhaps not as advanced, that may work with our older system.

I didn't really know where else to post though this was an apex related problem.

Thanks for all those who posted, I maybe didn't phrase the question right.

I need a basic, simple watered down version of a sketch program that will work with 2001 Era technology.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Larry,

No, I don't think you posted in the wrong "thread' ... ;-)

I am not a salesperson, and just trying to help see if there is a solution for you. If I knew more about your situation, perhaps I could help (?) Knowing your jurisdiction name would help, too.

I am reading that you use something called "MAGIC" and I don't know what that is or why it is an issue, so I'm a little lost on that count...

From another portion of your post, it seems like you must be stuck using an old version of Windows (?) - something like Windows '95 or '98... ? If so, it is true that our current programs are not supported in Windows '95 or '98. I believe we officially say that the minimum spec is Windows XP which was released in 2001. I have personally run our latest version of Apex (Apex v4.1 - aka "Medina") on an old gateway laptop (a '486-33 with 64 MB memory) running Windows 2000, and it ran OK. It was slow, but then that laptop is slow compared to today's machines... :) Windows 2000 is now 8 years old and is the oldest Operating system still supported by Microsoft - it was recently extended to 07/13/2010. While we do not officially support the program under Windows 2000, it does run.

Anyway, it sounds like you may be using an older version of Apex. If you select "About" from the "Help" menu, the dialog should list a version and a publication date. if I knew what information, that could perhaps help me offer you some help.

So, is the problem that your old Apex quit working? I don't understand the problem. I am happy to try and help you here, and if you'll give me some details to work with, I will try. I cannot promise a fix, but I can try if you'll let me... :)

Feel free to write here or e-mail me directly at the address given.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Have you checked Ebay for an earlier used version?

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Seems like maybe a new $1,000 PC might solve a lot of the problems. Perhaps your mainframe was state of the art in its day, but can probably be replaced for a very low cost.

BOB PADRICK

Professional Status
State
Florida
The problem is likely the integration of apex with their cama-style software (computer assisted mass appraisal). They're grabbing the output and importing the sketch and sub area sizes into their own assessment system's mainframe system.

That probably in turn depends on a third party program written for that specific version of apex they have (for 2001, I'm guessing either version 1 or 2).

So the problem isn't going to get fixed by getting a few new laptops and a new version of Apex. I'm sure Randall knows this-not specifically for them, but in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks