• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need Advice For Appraisal Interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTruth

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Hello, I am a newly licensed Trainee and needed some advice. I have an interview tomorrow and was looking for any advice or resources to prepare? If anyone has any advice, on basic questions a future mentor might ask, I would greatly appreciate it? Or if you have any experience interviewing trainees, what do you look for in a good candidate? Thanks!

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Neat appearance and honest answers will serve you well. A good mentor will realize you do not, necessarily, know the answer to all the possible questions they could ask.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
If anyone has any advice, on basic questions a future mentor might ask
Do you know what an appraisal is? (this would be my FIRST question; probably even as I'm on the phone with you BEFORE setting up an actual in person interview) - it sounds dumb, but MANY "potential" trainees/wannabe's have no clue
Do you have a 4 yr/bachelor's degree?
What is your goal 5 years from now? (I know this is a "typical" interview question for any job, but with a minimum 2yr trainee period, I'd like to know if you're going to bail after you get your Cert or if you plan on sticking around, etc)
Why do you want to be an appraiser?
Can you go 2+ yrs with limited income? (based on the trainee generally not making "crazy $$$")
Are you an analytical person?
Do you work well alone? (much of appraising is individual work; not many "team" projects)
Can you be unbiased?
Do you have a reliable vehicle?

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Neat appearance and honest answers will serve you well
(y) especially my bold

We are professionals, so you don't want to look like a bum! This is for the interview as well as going forward. This goes a LONG way!

TheTruth

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Do you know what an appraisal is? (this would be my FIRST question; probably even as I'm on the phone with you BEFORE setting up an actual in person interview) - it sounds dumb, but MANY "potential" trainees/wannabe's have no clue
Do you have a 4 yr/bachelor's degree?
What is your goal 5 years from now? (I know this is a "typical" interview question for any job, but with a minimum 2yr trainee period, I'd like to know if you're going to bail after you get your Cert or if you plan on sticking around, etc)
Why do you want to be an appraiser?
Can you go 2+ yrs with limited income? (based on the trainee generally not making "crazy $$$")
Are you an analytical person?
Do you work well alone? (much of appraising is individual work; not many "team" projects)
Can you be unbiased?
Do you have a reliable vehicle?

Thank you for the advise, I have an on going list of interview questions I've been practicing. I actually had 4 of the above on my list already, thank you for the other 4 suggestions. I will definitely review the true meaning of an appraiser, any other advise would be greatly appreciated!

TheTruth

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
(y) especially my bold

We are professionals, so you don't want to look like a bum! This is for the interview as well as going forward. This goes a LONG way!

Thanks for the suggestion!!
Luckily I learned how to dress at a young age, nice tailor charcoal suit, white fitted shirt and traditional blue tie with matching belt and dress shoes. That should work, right? Figured my appearance reflects how organized and put together I am as a person.

TheTruth

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Any other questions suggestions I should be practicing? Thank you again, for the prompt answers!

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
how did you get interested in appraising?
what research have you done about the field?
tell me about your background and experience that will help you succeed
what can you do for me?
why are you the best candidate?
do you have any reservations about the opportunity?
what is your goal? how will you know you have reached it?
do you know any appraisers? realtors? loan officers? have they given you any insight into the field?
have you ever had an appraisal done on your property? your thoughts on that?
are you a 'team player' or a 'lone wolf' kind of person?

TheTruth

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
how did you get interested in appraising?
what research have you done about the field?
tell me about your background and experience that will help you succeed
what can you do for me?
why are you the best candidate?
do you have any reservations about the opportunity?
what is your goal? how will you know you have reached it?
do you know any appraisers? realtors? loan officers? have they given you any insight into the field?
have you ever had an appraisal done on your property? your thoughts on that?
are you a 'team player' or a 'lone wolf' kind of person?

Thank you Cindy, my practice questions are growing!

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
When he or she asks why you want to be an appraiser, don't say, "I want to help people or would like to see world peace!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks