• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need an indestructible cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Slow day at the shop so I am searching for a new cell for my fil/mentor. He is ROUGH on his phones. Dropping them is a daily occurance with multiple scratches to prove it.

I am looking for a gsm phone who has the charateristics of a Disto, solid and able to take bumps. Preferrably one with some rubber around the edges. Industrial strenght and construction area ready. A name brand and model would help as I plan to buy an unlocked one from ebay. We have at&t service so nextel products are not an option.:shrug:

Thanks all.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
JTip:

I had a friend who swore by the Panasonic Duramax but it appears this phone is no longer available (?) A quick Google search turned up this info:

http://www.casiogzone.com/type_v/

http://estore.vzwshop.com/gzone/

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6454_7-6551600.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/nokia-5140/4505-6454_7-30980562.html?tag=txt

[Edit] - Although kinda "old school", I thought the reviews of the 5140 were sort of interesting. Anyway, I found a US source for the newer 5140i - Mobile Planet, which I have used many times in the past for mobile gear. Here is a link to their listing for the 5140i: http://tinyurl.com/27w79c

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
My sister in law is selling an i-mate K-JAM PDA Phone. Paid $500 but she needs the money for Christmas. It comes with the works:

PDA form factor integrated quad-band GSM/EDGE, Blue­tooth, WiFi, 1.3/2 mega-pixel camera, and sliding QWERTY keyboard,Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC.

Pretty durable when closed. I'd also get a bluetooth head set so he does not have to juggle a phone.

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Slow day at the shop so I am searching for a new cell for my fil/mentor. He is ROUGH on his phones. Dropping them is a daily occurance with multiple scratches to prove it.

I am looking for a gsm phone who has the charateristics of a Disto, solid and able to take bumps. Preferrably one with some rubber around the edges. Industrial strenght and construction area ready. A name brand and model would help as I plan to buy an unlocked one from ebay. We have at&t service so nextel products are not an option.:shrug:

Thanks all.

If you must stay with AT&T, then asking advice isn't going to do much. There's only a certain number of phones out there wired for AT&T so best to just check their website and find something there. Or at least I've never gotten anywhere trying to take a brand X service phone and getting it "changed" to work with brand Y service before. An Alltel Motorola Razr can't be converted to work on Verizon here, even though Verizon does offer their own "brand" of Motorola Razr phone themselves - just as an example.

Here's what AT&T currently says will work with their service, there are 73 phones in the list:

http://tinyurl.com/277la6 (shortened link to Cingluar/AT&T compatible phones)

Good luck with your search. There is no such thing as a durable wireless phone anymore. In fact, they're pretty much all cheap(ly built) POSs IMO. Even the "tough" ones that Nextel/Sprint advertise have a high failure rate. I guess marketing them as tough, doesn't really make them "tough". A REALTOR® friend of mine said they should advertise the "short fall" distance as a few inches, and not a few feet like they do on TV. He's been through 3 of them in a year. I currently use a Razr on Verizon. Decent phone, not fragile, but I do my best to never drop it. None of them can take much of that. You get ICs popping off the circuit board, batteries and battery connections fail, all sort of stuff happening if you drop them a lot.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the tips. Nice links Randall. What is wrong with you Leggett?:shrug: :rof: You would poke your eye out with that antenna!

If only that GZOne was a gsm phone, that would be perfect! I did find one, called a Sonim XP1 that would work, the price is a tad too much. http://www.sonimtech.com/features_xp1.html They have video's of people driving over them, one story drops and other crazy stunts.

I think at&t/verizon offers different phones in different markets. For example I have a w700i Sony that is not offered in our local stores. I bought it unlocked off ebay with no issues. I showed it to a salesperson in the store and he was like "Wow, neat phone". I think, and I am no cell phone expert or pretend to be, it has to do with the 'service'. GSM is Cingular/at&t, Verizon is cdma and Nextel is iden. As long as the phone you want is in your 'service' and unlocked, it will work.

Looks like Nokia has a couple of rubberized products, albeit a bit dated it may be an option. Nextel has some nice products. I shall keep shopping since the phone at the office has quit ringing today...

Thanks again everyone, you to Leggett.:clapping:

Scott Kibler

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Get a bluetooth phone, use an earpiece and keep the phone in a secure pocket.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
:icon_mrgreen: Hey man, I freely admit to being ignorant on hip high tech stuff. All I want in a phone is to push a button and say "Hello?" :shrug:

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
FWIW, I agree with Scott on the BT headset and keep a phone in the pocket. BT headsets are so light that if dropped, they rarely get too damaged.

Still, I kinda like the "old school" Nokia with the compass, flashlight and GPS locator... Kinda feels like a Decoder Ring, LOL. I kinda want one... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks