• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need data entry program

Joe Flacco

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
It saves probably like 5-10 minutes. You pay for convenience, not time.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Anthony, because you can download instead of type. Think how often fans of apps and of hybrids say appraisers should be appraising. This frees you up to do that without the downside of selling your soul (ok fine, maybe selling something a bit less).

I like that I can pull down many more sales/listings than I use in my report. I used to do that in Excel. Now it does it and allows me to show what I drew from to make that final selection, if questioned. It pulls sale and transfer history and inserts the histories ( or reports of none) into your report.

It can also do MC with some fine tuning and a cost approach as part of the same charge.

You are relying on MLS data and Realist data, so you have to check it, as you would any source.

In using SmartExchange (if I recall before not opting into it) you are relying on comps as written by other appraisers in their reports which are then shared, right? Personal decision. I voted no on other appraisers' cooties.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I have been considering Spark this past month or so

I watched their video on their website a few weeks back. It seems pretty user friendly and it looked like it gives you the option to use the County info and/or MLS info, but lets you decide
This is something that I liked

Still kicking around trying it out. They did have a trial period available and their monthly nut seemed reasonable if you decide to use it

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
It is very reasonable and the free trial is generous. I learned while burning with a fever from Lyme so it should be quite easy absent tick-borne misery. Under those circumstances, I may have asked the same question twice of the owner but he is very helpful. He offers useful videos. It is just so well-thought out.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I would say that the effectiveness of such programs is highly variable by (1) location, and (2) the general nature of properties in your area, and (3) the format of the raw data being imported/analyzed. In my local market area (Nashville) for example, none of them do a good job with basement data. That is no fault of the programs, it is simply a result of how the data is made available for use. Now, on a non-basement home in my area, they were VERY good - but over 50% of our homes have basements, and on those properties the double checking and correcting more than offset the time saved.

Joe Flacco

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I'm going to try Spark. Datamaster not working right.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
They don't do well on bsmts here either but I pull the street cards for comps anyway and look at the sketch.

Just would like to take this moment to point out that I have to do this because both our MLS and Realist are CoreLogic. :leeann2: So wattaya gonna do

Anthony Cannata

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
My problem is that I then would have to change their field to match mine

i.e. Pools - Me? I have my quick lists as "Open Pool" or "Open w/ Spa" or "Scr Pool w Spa" or "ScreenPoolPkg"
Others have different ways of addressing the same pools - I see it often
So to use their "comp" I still then have to verify the info and then amend their identification of the pool to match the other comps in my grid ...

It just seems like it takes longer to do all that than to simply just input it myself. Just my $0.02
Good insight, thanks. Still hoping it would eliminate some of the drudgery of data entry. If it can make squeezing in an extra appraisal a week, make more than 2 a day not seem daunting, or just get me out of the office a few minutes quicker, seems worth it. Thoughts on that?

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
You can edit the captions of fields, as I understand it. You say FWA and the MLS says HotAir, you can customize it in a setting. I wanted to do that but just have not yet. I now sound like somebody else!

It is in a video somewhere there or FAQ, maybe the latter.

edit--I mean in Spark

Last edited:

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Smart Exchange definitely didn't seem that it would help me at all - just my experience

The pool was just one example. But other fields seem to vary as well (i.e. heating/cooling, energy efficient items, functional utility, etc)

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks