• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need help about measuring devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

soman somu

Freshman Member
I a new person to this forum, I am a civil engineer primarily doing Valuation ( ie appraisal ) in India , well in India only civil engineers are entitled to do appraisal, In India almost all, measure the building using tape only, I had seen some advertisement in net about ultrasonic and laser measuring devices which can measure up to 50 feet, which are below $100 ( ie cool 5000 bugs in Indian rupees), I am contemplating to buy it,I want to know how efficient it is to measure the outer measurements using these devices, does anybody using it

Soman somu
Tirupur
Tamilnadu, INDIA

Chris Harrison

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Utah
I do use a ultrasonic device. It only works if you have a fairly large flat surface to bounce the signal off. Like doing the indentation of an odd shaped building. I can do most attached porches and decks. It's great for interior dimensions as long as there are no obstructions between the device and the opposing wall. My device is made by Zircon Corporation and was under $50. They have a web site at www.zircon.com. It won't replace the tape measure or laser devices for all your needs but does speed up my measuring of odd shaped structures. Hope this helps.

Chris Harrison
Orem, Utah

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
I used sonic devices in a previous emplyment (diclaimer- this was several years ago) The devices were somewhat difficult to use, as the measure 'spread' at the far end, and finding a 'clear shot' was difficult. They were generally not accurate enough to satisfy MY needs - I found a tape or whell more useful MOST of the time.

The Laser devices appear to be far more accurate, and useful...

You may want to use the search function (see upper portion of the forum) to search for comments about the Disto. It is a laser device which many folks here are useing to their satisfaction. I do not own one (yet).

I beleive that 'for the money' this is a far superior tool which will provide you greater utility and accuracy.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Tape works fine.

Over the years I've tried a few electronic gizzmos and found them to be difficult to work with, inaccurate, tempremental and the batteries are always dead when you are way out there doing a rural appraisal. Do you have any idea what rain does to some of those little electronic things? (In Oregon, Mildew is the state flower).

anyway, tape works fine, rain or shine & the batteries don't go dead.......

Oregon Doug

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
Hello Soman,

Every measuring device has its drawbacks. The ultrasonic devices can read from foreground and background objects and so are only useful when measuring to a broad, unobstructed surface. The buildings that are easily measured with an ultrasonic device would probably be easy to measure with a tape.

The laser-based devices are expensive (I figure about 22,343 rupees) and only work well in dim lighting. On a bright day with a white building, it's very difficult to find the dot of light. But, when the lighting's right, it's the easiest way to accurately measure a building. Anywhere there is line-of-sight you can get a measurement.

For low-tech, I like an automatically retracting 35' steel tape, with a 100' fiberglas tape as a backup.

I'm curious, if you've read through some of the posts here, do you find significantly different appraisal concepts?

Koert

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
50' loggers tape, their faster cause they are self winding,
but watch out for the hook when it comes back.
I use a big 6" hook made out of aluminum grounding
wire with surgical tubing over it (fits around downspouts).

Its a little heavy for the ladies, but you can take
out a pretty big dog if they come at you, whereas
throwing a ultrasonic plastic box at a dog isn't
going to do you much good.

elliott

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Get the Disto, it works fast, no rewinding a muddy tape, its fun to use and if a dog charges just zap the laser in his eye! How's that for all the PETA people out there :lol:

TC

B

Bemis Pownall

got my disto 2 months ago and have never used the tape since.

batteries last about a month. great cat toy too.

there is an ultrasonic with a pointer i came across, cant remeber the name right this moment.

:drinking:

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Hello Soman!

Please, tell us about appraising in India! You will find a captive audience here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks