• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need Help for the Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Hey Guys and Girls,

Long time since I've been here. I need to hire some part-time help. In the past I had a helper who was helping me in finding comparables, that didn't work out so well.
What do you have your helper do to help you? Type part of the reports, etc. I'm working too many hours and have got to get some help. I would prefer that they work out of their own home. Got any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Stephen,

there is a lady who posts here quite often that types from her home and does everything via internet. I am sure she will post to this.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
She's in the process of moving right now. I expect she will be back on line the middle of next week.?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Somewhere I recently posted on this very subject. My assistant is a registered appraiser and a big help.

Look for things that are time consuming and not really productive.

1. Setting up assigment folder
2. Pulling public records
3. Logging and tracking
4. Scheduling appointments
5. Simple data entry (starting report on computer)
6. Sketching (really helpful)
7. Billing and delivery of local reports (we use EDI mostly)
8. Answering the phone

Ideally, I can do two appraisals a day with good office help...one if I am attempting to do everything myself!

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
I think I have been through every logical rotation that exists.

I am with Mike on this one----------and I can't add a thing; except loading images and maps, and keeping the printers full of ink.

It can be really productive. But the day will come when your well trained help will leave.

I had a wonderful gal who was a student at the community college. We massages the schedules. I had her for 4 years. Halleluyah!!

......And then she went to Pharmacy school ( Do you think this job forced her into self-prescription?--Nah! Couldn't have. All the underwriters get by on large containers of Maalox.)

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I can understand why you had a problem with someone helping you with comps! I'm too much a control freak to trust someone else with that.

Anyway, I'm in the same position. I asked one young lady who has a real estate license, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pay her as much as she is/will be making this year. She's in her second year and doing pretty well. I probably would be better off with someone a little younger and poorer :silly: but really like this lady and think she would be perfect.

Anyway, I think she's going to ride with me one day this week and we'll see. The other thing is I don't have anywhere to put here, as my little bitty office is very full. Trying to figure out how I can move/store old files somewhere - I like them to be in the air conditioning and heat to keep them dry.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Like Mike said: Help with scheduling, making appointments, tracking assignments and initiationg job folders can take a lot off your shoulders. I hadn't really realized just how much time those chores took up until I got a good helper. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks