• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need help on technical definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

paluca1982

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California
:icon_idea:Hello everyone, I need help. I am building a 529 (26X18) sft guesthouse and laundry on a property(5.5X11). The school district where this property is located charges $2.14 per sqft of living area for any addition over 499. Now as you can see, i am over by 30sqft. It seem ridiculous to be to pay almost $1200 for exceeding the 499 by 30 sqft. Now, here is where i need help. I want to know the legal code definition used most commonly in california for "living area". I was told by a friend of mine that "living area" does not inlcude the exterior walls. If that is the case and i can prove it, i would be able to shed over 30 Sqft out of the total which would save me $1200. Any thoughts on where i can find the definition or code. The city that I am working in is West Covina, CA. I know, it would be easier just to modify the plans, but that would mean to have the architect make the changes and also resubmit the plans (two more weeks). This would cost way more in the longrun than paying the 1200. So again, any ideas?:icon_idea:

seattle98116

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Washington
ANSI standards for living area are exterior measurements. I had a client in a similar situation here in the Seattle area that wanted me to measure the interior of her dwelling and take out closets and interior walls since no one can "live" between the studs. She was trying to make her house smaller in order to build a larger home and make this a "mother-in-law". She didn't like my answer, but I gave her the ANSI standards...now for condos, the living area is the interior or "paint to paint" areas of the unit because from the studs to the siding is common area and common ownership amongst the complex as a whole. Not sure what you have, but this has been my experience...
Good luck to you in this matter, but why don't you pluck down the $1200 for your local school...kids need to leard to read :)
Justin

Otis Key

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I'm not in CA and don't know the laws or codes there, but you might consider paying a consultation fee to a well informed, educated and experienced appraiser in the local market to advise you - that's the best I can do for you.

Never mind - redacted after brain got in gear..........................:fiddle:

Green Hornet

Professional Status
State
Washington
Are you sure the $2.14/sf is not for the addtional SF over the 499SF. Then you only have 30SF.

Worth looking into.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
Are you having to pay the 'addition' charge for the entire 529 s/f addition, or only the portion over 499 s/f? (See Green Hornet's post)

"for any addition over 499"

It's hard to tell from how you describe your situation.

But if you have to pay for only the portion over 499 s/f, it's only $64.......a pittance.

Another way you might do this is to make the laundry room half your proposed size, and make the remaining area a storage space with an outside door and no interior access. Keep the heated space (living space) under 499 s/f and you will avoid the extra charge.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I was told by a friend of mine that "living area" does not inlcude the exterior walls.

That is true in condos. GLA for the improvements you describe DOES include exterior walls.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Don't know CA like Hornet and DT, but I do know the ANSI Standard for living area does not count a secondary unit (one disconnected by floorplan from the main house) as living area. In my area these areas are not counted as total living area of a property either, but are taxed as an amenity. Appraising them as an amenity and not including them in the living area of a property is typical practice.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
There may not be anyone here that works in your local jurisdiction. You'd do better just asking a local appraiser. Or you could ask the local taxing authority.

They may not measure the same way that the appraisers do.

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
This is the sort of situation where the advice of a good architect and/or contractor can make the difference. Just as with bypass surgery you'd want the doctor who does two a day, I'd want to be consulting with the professional who's at the West Covina planning desk every day. They are the ones who will have the "real-life" answer. We've got all the theoretical bases covered, but who knows if that will do you any good.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Marcia hit the nail on the head. Check with your local taxing authority on what is/is not considered in their local rules/laws. The next county might do it different.

Boy, if I had to pay 1200 a year, I could real quick cut that sucker down 30 sqft. Make it 18x24 and problem is solved. Cheaper to build as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks