• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
I have a step son that went into a X rated web site out of Georgia. The other day I received a bill for over $150.00 for his time on this web site. The question that I have is how did they get my name, address and telephone number, which he claims he did not give them? Is it possible for the web site to get the information off the computer with out are knowing this while he was connected? This is my computer that my wife uses most of the time. She has noticed that since about the time that he made the connection that all of a sudden her computer will start dialing out to the ISP on its own sometimes when she is using it for other things. This is a dial up connection and not DSL. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Mississippi
A lot of information can be determined just by you being connected, but for the most part your personal info should be protected. If your security can be breached I would suspect a virus. This is further evidenced by the unprompted dialing. It sounds like the virus is trying to connect back to the author or is trying to connect to spead itself to all the folks in your email program's address book.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
If you are using a dial-up connection, check the dial-up number in the registery. A few months back I had a pop-up **** ad appear, and I attempted to "X" out - it would not let me. Did a shut down/restart, and started to log back on to the internet. Guess what? My local dial-up number had been changed to a 1-900 number!!!!!!!!!!!!! I caught it just in time. I changed the dial-up number that showed on the screen back to the original local dial-up number, but when I would hit "Connect", the number would change back to the 1-900 number. Fortunately my computer instructor son was coming in from Dallas the next day, and he actually had problems changing the dial-up number in the registery. I am still kidded by my wife and son about opening the ad (which I did not!!), but my son suspects that when I attempted to "X" out of the ad, that the area around the "X" had been set up by the ad designer to actually cause the registery change, and I did not get the cursor square on the "X". Might be something for you to check out.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
It happened to me for the tune of $900.00+ I challenged the bill and spent a year explaining to the phone company that I did not authorize the change in ISP. I also explained that the person who did it sdid so inadvertantly and that that person is a minor and therefore not contractually liable. Finally got it off the bill, but I put an international block on the line as well as a 900 block.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
It might be a good idea to install a firewall. Norton offers a very good one. This might prevent it from happening again. Norton also provides a great virus software program.

dgill

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
New York
Cliff,

Most computer systems keep records of a personal nature in memory for "ease of use" later. For instance, if you use a password to access a particular site (like on-line banking), your computer can save that information for you to save you the trouble of having to remember it and re-type it in every time you visit that site.

Adult sites are a little tricky. Depending on what site is visited, it can download specific files into your computer if you do not have anti-virus protection. This is done usually via pop-up or pop-under ads. Also, the "cookie" files that are saved to your system can be used to "remember" specific information that each site can use.

On that note, your step son may have clicked "Yes" to one of the pop-up ads that asked something to the effect of "Would you like this web-site to be your default?" Or it may have just changed your dial-up info without your knowledge.

My suggestion would be to change your internet service provider, erase your "cookie" files, temporary internet files, temp files and your "history" files. And argue with the phone company that you cannot be held responsible for that charge.

Good luck!

Dave

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
Cliff,

As far as fighting it. I heard one time while driving aimlessly on the Clark Howard show, him describe how to fight it. He said he has it all posted on his web site. I havent been there, but it might be a good place to go look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks