• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need new camera- any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Caffey

Sophomore Member
Have (HAD) a sony mavica- wont read the floppies any more (less than 1 yr old) need a smaller camera with WIDE ANGLE - more important than telephoto- any suggestions???? try under 300.00

Mary in Texas
:?:

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Your hard drive has gone bad in your Mavica. Call their service center in Atlanta, and they will trade you a refurbished unit for under $200. I've done this twice after drooping my Mavicas on Asphalt & Concrete. They don't bounce well.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Been using a kodak dc280 for several years and find it very dependable. There is a wide angle attachment 0.5x that lets me get those really hard ones with ease. It uses a CF memory card (16mb yields about 107 pictures).

These cameras cost <$150 on ebay

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I've got a Kodak DC210 and a DC240, they've both been real reliable. Granted they're both bordering on antique in the computer world.
But the 240 has over 9700 pics on it, still works fine. Couldn't hurt to look at Kodak. :D

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Mary,

I've had Mavicas for years and they work fine....One thing they don't like and they seem to have problems reading, is used disks. YOu get the dreaded gray blocks on the photos or they won't read at all. Have you tried using the cheapie disks at Office Max? I get 100 for $19.99. I use them once and file them away with each appraisal.

Have you tried opening the bad disk in a different photo program to see if it is truly bad? I normally use MGI Photo Suite to open my photos but when that can't do it because the photo is damged, I use IrfanView which is a free shareware program that seems to be abale to open files that most photo programs can't. How about formatting the disk via the Sony format method in the camera, does that help at all? Just some thoughts.

Ben

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I use a Nikon Coolpix 770. About $350. The Wide angle lens was another $150. I really like the camera. It is small enough to fit in pants pocket. Takes darn good pictures. With the wide angle I can get 80-85% of a room in one photo, can stand on sidewalk & get an entire 2 story house in the photo +usually part of the neighbors house.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Ben's comment on the disks is on target. I have used a Mavica for over three years with no problems. I suddenly could not take but one or two shots per disk. Putting in a new disk did the trick, but I found that if I formatted the old disks they would work fine also. Disks do wear out, and when that happens you simply have to toss them.

Mary Caffey

Sophomore Member
We have bought sony disks from frys - verbatim from sams, imation from walmart- and we never reuse a disk, we keep it in the file folder just in case with a back up of the appraisal- could it be that when son fell *** :roll: *** it damaged the drive..............??????????????

just found out that that is could be the reason-----

thanks for the advice- I use an Olympus 340l and 960c and have been happy with those for real estate so I might just buy another one of those....

Mary

Frank Bertrand

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Kodak has been good to me. DC4800 takes good pictures in the dark, DC220 used with the recording feature lets you take pics all day and use the recording feature to make notes of the pictures. Good buys on Ebay. Use a Minolta Dimage X as a back up, very small and takes decent ;pictures

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
I really like my Olympus D-520 Zoom...$282 at Sam's Club 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks