• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Need new printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Massengale

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
In the market for a new inkjet printer. I have worn out an Epson Stylus Color 900. I want a fast, high volumn good printer that does not gobble ink. Any suggestions?

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Send everything EDI, make your clients get the new printer. Failing that, just about every manufacturer makes a good product. Just make sure you buy one with 4 ink cartridges.

TC

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
I've got the HP2200 Business inkjet and have been very happy. Seperate ink and print heads for each color. Easy to refill the ink or set up an IV system to use bulk ink. Cost to run between this and my laser is equal or slightly in favor of the inkjet. Good print quality. I bougth it off ebay and think I paid around $200 +/-.

Spencer McMullen

Freshman Member
Why not have 2 printers? Ink is slow and expensive. I have 2. A Xerox N17 high speed laser (17 pages per minute) for printing legal, letter and envelopes and an ink jet for the photo pages.

I spend maybe $100 a year for toner for the laser versus $50 a pop for color cartidges that last 1-3 months.

2 printers will also speed up your printing. I bought my printers on ebay for around $300-600. I own 5 of them.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I use two printers....one laser for the black and white forms and one ink jet for the photo pages. My software (Alamode Athena) is set up for it and it really cuts down on the printing time.

I just started printing my file copy in black and white only. Why have colored pictures sitting in a file cabinet? This has really lowered my costs and also saves wear and tear on the color printer.

Very few hard copies required by the lenders these days, almost all edi. Big, big savings in both materials and time. My postage, over night fees, and printing costs have dropped dramatically. It was necessary for me to get a DSL line for faster transmission time and that is about $50 a month more than I was spending with a dial up connection.

If you have a client who provides you with lots of work and does not have a color printer...offer to buy them one provided they give you X number of assignments a month. For less than $200 you could develop a really good customer and save yourself lots of time and money.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Like most posters here I have 2 printers: a HP2000C and a HPLaserjet 4100. The color printer gets used mainly for home use now as I finally have all my clients accepting EDI. The Laserjet I use quite a bit to print out MLS data.

I don't keep any paper docs in the file folder, just everything saved or scanned onto a CD rom. The savings in FedEx and US Postage fees this year has been tremendous.

TC

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Two printers

But when I bought my HP Deskjet 950C I did a lot of research on the web. One of the things I found was the cost per page was lowest with nearly all the HP's models compared to the other brands they tested. But it still hurts to pay $100 for two new cartridges.

BTW I tried printing the whole report on the Ink Jet and ran through a set or cartidges in about 3 weeks!!

One more thing. If you looking for a laser printer look for a company that repairs printers. I found a great deal o a refurbished LaserJet 1100. They had several oder HP's they took on trade and rebuilt. The older commercial models just don't die. They get rebuilt and used and used.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I also have an HP LaserJet 2100 for black and white, and bought an HP Business InkJet 2230 not long ago. We refill our own ink cartridges for the inkjet, which saves $$$ and I buy recycled (refilled) laser cartridges on the internet for almost half of the new ones. I highly recommended spending the extra money for the Laser Jet, as the ink is so much less expensive. We were using the inkjet to print information data, Duh...... and finally realized we should be using the Laser Jet.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
I replaced my fax and laser printer with a brother mfc8500 multifunction printer/fax/scanner combo. I have been very happy with this unit. Fast and easy. Still print color on epson inkjet but less and less with pdf taking most of the work now.

Rob Bodkin

Professional Status
State
Washington
We used a HP 4500 color laser, before all of our clients went to EDI. I sold the laser and have an HP 950c for the file copy.

I also use a cheap Brother laser for the look-ups and research. It is really fast, as compared to the ink jet, cheap per copy and cost 300 bucks retail. Very happy with that call.

By the by, USPAP requiers an EXACT copy of our delivered product in our files which means signed and color, if that was what was delivered.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks