• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NEED OLD REPORTS - POSSIBLE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jungle Boy

Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Florida
HELLO ALL, THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING !
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS. DID NOT NOTICE UNTIL I STARTED PROOF-READING. SORRY!
AM A REGISTERED ASSISTANT APPRAISER IN FLORIDA. PREVIOUSLY WORKED AS A CONSTRUCTION ESTIMATOR & SUPERVISOR FOR 9 YEARS.
HAVE BEEN IN THE APPRAISAL FIELD FOR A YEAR, AND LOVE IT. ( NOT HAVING TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER'S WORK )
MY SUPERVISOR, WHO I'VE WORKED FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, IS SUPER COOL.
I'D LIKE TO WORK WITH HER AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.
NOW, I UNDERSTAND FROM 38 YEARS OF LIFE EXPERIENCE, THAT TASKS CAN GENERALLY BE COMPLETED IN A VARIETY OF WAYS TO ACCOMPLISH THE SAME END RESULT. AS IN, THERE'S MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT.
WITH USPAP, OBVIOUSLY APPRAISERS HAVE TO WORK WITHIN CERTAIN GUIDELINES AND PARAMETERS, AND INDIVIDUALITY TAKES A BACK SEAT.
BUT, I'M VERY CURIOUS TO KNOW IF THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO WRITE AN APPRAISAL REPORT. ( ADJUSTMENTS & COMMENTS IN PARTICULAR )
WHAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW IS, ARE THERE ANY OLD, OUT OF DATE URAR REPORTS AVAILABLE FOR PERUSAL.
IS THERE ANY LEGAL WAY THAT SOMEONE LIKE MYSELF, REGISTERED WITH THE STATE, WANTING TO INCREASE HIS APPRAISAL SKILLS, WOULD BE ABLE TO READ OLD OUT OF DATE APPRAISAL REPORTS, PREFERABLY WRITTEN BY A VARIETY OF CERTIFIED APPRAISERS. ( IN ORDER SEE THE BIG PICTURE, AND NOT BE LIMITED TO A POSSIBLY NARROW PERSPECTIVE )
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
I HAVE LEARNED IMMENSELY FROM THE MANY EXPERIENCED APPRAISERS POSTING IN THIS FORUM.
THANK-YOU.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS. DID NOT NOTICE UNTIL I STARTED PROOF-READING. SORRY!

Next time take it into your word processor and convert the caps into lower case.

BUT, I'M VERY CURIOUS TO KNOW IF THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO WRITE AN APPRAISAL REPORT.
No. A report is the method used to communicate the value drived from your research. How that is communicated is as individual as the people who write them.

IS THERE ANY .......WAY .....TO READ OLD OUT OF DATE APPRAISAL REPORTS, PREFERABLY WRITTEN BY A VARIETY OF CERTIFIED APPRAISERS. ( IN ORDER SEE THE BIG PICTURE, AND NOT BE LIMITED TO A POSSIBLY NARROW PERSPECTIVE )

<span style='color:brown'>1) Study all the reports your mentor has availabe to see what works and doesn't work in your market.

2) Get all the books on case studies from NAIFA and the AI you can. Don't expect us to provide you with old reports.....most of us consider confidentiality too important to send such things to a stranger.....besides, what I have done in the past may not be what I would do today, and you would not to "learn" my failures....nor would I want to expose them to scrutiny.

3) Go to every conference and chapter meeting you can. Listen to "war stories" about probems others have encountered.......and when you write, use your own verbage....plagerism is still a no no.</span>

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
One hundred per cent agreement with Greg! Continue to read the various chat rooms, this one is the most active, but both the NAIFA and the AI also have chat rooms.

And as I have volunteered many times, I have developed templates that I am willing to email anyone that asks. They are NOT the only way to write a report but only ideas that I have gathered through the years from other appraisers I have worked with, items I have seen while reviewing, ideas from all the various chapter meetings, seminars and chat rooms through all the years. So if you are interested, contact me at [email protected]
And also as always I am looking for all the constructive feedback I can get, because even after 35 years in this business I am still learning!!

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
See if you can get your supervisor to take on some review assignments and take a look over her shoulder while she's reviewing them. Of course, when it comes to appraising and report writing, different is not necessarily better.... The example your supervisor is setting for you may already be pretty good.

George Hatch

Jungle Boy

Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Florida
Thank-you for the responses.
I now know which way to proceed. Without doubts. Not running blind.

After reading some of the posts, I consider myself very lucky to have hooked up with a supervisor who is considerate and very fair.
I've been working 5-6 days per week, and have over 300 completed appraisals. Have been paid on time from Appraisal # 1. ( couldn't have been any other way for a family of six )
It wasn't until the 6th or 7th month, that my writing was to the point that reports weren't being EDI'd back to me for revision on a regular basis.
Have a long way to go, but will get there.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I did have a couple of loan officers and processors that befriended me that would give me copies of appraisal reports completed by others. You do need to be careful about what you use from others work. Some are good - some are bad.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The Appraisal Institute has several books and classes that have good information, including how to write the URAR and Appraising the Single Family Home. These are very practical information sources. Also the FHA 4150 Handbook has a good section-by-section summary of how to write a report.

Roger

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I found new underwriters tend to nitpick names that are new to them. After a few for that underwriter you rarely hear from them...i.e.- you have to pay your dues so they can establish their turf dominance over you.

Easy way to study appraisals is to ask a willing client - probably a regular loan officer in a bank - for copies. Tell them why you want such a copy and tell them you want reports from GOOD appraisers. When I started out I obtained copies of perhaps 10 reports just this way. Also, 2 other appraisers and I exchanged reports we obtained this way. I probably have 30-40 old reports from other appraisers laying around. I study them and agree/disagree. I've seen the dredges, I have seen the best.

You may not want your report disseminated in such a way, but the report is the clients, whether we like it or not. We only possess the appraisal as our intellectual property, not the written report.

hal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
WOW!!! Good stuff guys. Thanks Jo Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks