• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need opinions from GA appraisers for relo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina Ledesma

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
I have a friend who's husband is being relocated from Michigan (Walled Lake/SE Michigan) to Atlanta, GA.

They presently have a $250,000+/- home (1.5 sty/built 1994/1,900sf/basement) in the suburbs and are hoping to land in a "similar" community.

However, the catch is she will be moving her horse down there.
They would most likely base where they move on its proximity to the right facility. She goes daily, so she would like to have a minimal drive (15-20 minutes, maybe 30) from where they move to the barn/stable.

She hopes to find a similar facility as where she's at now:
A stable/barn with an outdoor arena and preferably covered/enclosed arena. Also, would really prefer if there were nearby/attached riding trails.
Either pasture board or stall board for $300+/-.

She's a little hesitant about a "show" barn or "specified discipline" barn, where sometimes the atmosphere isn't as friendly or laid back as a pleasure/trail rider barn tends to be. Some of the people down there have suggested NE of Atlanta, but they know nothing about Atlanta or the surrounding area, so it is very overwhelming for them.

Any and all advice welcome :)

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Well unless they are willing to spend between 1.5 to 3 million for the horse area of north Fulton called Birmingham, their only other options are to live in suburban areas 35-40 miles out from Atlanta like Forsyth where I live, Hall County, or Gwinnett. We have a few old farms left where they board and teach riding. They can go south towards Barnesville and get land cheaper being more rural, but it's further out. Call me and I'll describe the areas. Like most metro areas, there are places in each county where you do not want to live.

Kristina Ledesma

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Thank you!!

They are just trying to get their feelers out there. I think to them, a 30-45 mile commute to work isn't the biggest issue...it really is to get something as close as they can get to what they had here. Tough when you are relocating to an area you've never even been to before :(

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I understand. It was quite confusing to us when we first moved here.
Since then, I have learned much about the metro area and have worked with several folks moving in. The metro area is massive as well as confusing. It's not like a big city, like NY. It's just a mass of sprawling suburbs. Everything is being bull dozed for new shopping centers and office condos. One of the major problems we have is that MARTA is tightly controlled by Atlanta, and they don't like to share or extend train service to the suburbs... so our highway traffic is HORRIBLE!!! However, I can get them as close as possible to MARTA stations, and still be able to enjoy the more "rurban" life. I would like to talk with them to find out where his job is located, what they really need, and then I can try to select areas where they'll want to look based on the path of their in town commute. If possible, I'd like to be their broker. If not, I'd still be glad to offer help and insight.

I'll PM you with my email and numbers. I don't want to post them on the web for the spammers to find.

Kristina Ledesma

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I just got your PM. Thank you very much! I've sat in Atlanta rush hour a few times before, seem to hit it on the drive from Mi to Fla, no matter how well we coordinate to miss it. Usually an ice storm through Tennessee is to blame...but you're right the traffic is HORRIBLE.

I'll pass your info on to them....thank you again!!

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Douglasville also has some nice little farm locations in the Winston/outer Douglasville market, within minutes to the Mall and some good restaurants and shopping, but it really boils down, like Mel said, to what part of Atlanta they are in. I personally know of a few properties around here zoned for horses with barns.

MARKETVALUE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Over the county line in Cherokee may be more practical.

MRM

Charles Drecksler

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Preview Listings Online

Hi Kristina,

You can view what is online at the two major MLS Systems:

www.GeorgiaHomes.com

You do not have to register to view the listings.

Hope this helps.

Raynna

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Georgia
Hi Kristina, I havent been on for a while and just saw your post. Have they given any thought to the East Metro side of Atlanta? I am an Associate Broker with Keller Williams Realty and my daughter rides western pleasure. There are a lot of facilities out this way; we are in Dacula. Let me know if I can help out at all.

Kristina Ledesma

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Hello all! Thank you for all of your replies!

They are kind of stuck at this point on what to do. She has been working with the relocation company and speaking with a few people that work there. Unfortunately, since he works downtown, a lot of areas that she was looking at are out of the way.

Also, many of the farms that she is finding do not have an indoor arena or the number one criteria that she is looking for, direct access to riding trails from the facility. She rides daily and does not want to have to trailer each day (she doesn't have a horse trailer of her own). Unfortunately, she is aware that what she wants may not be available down there. The facility we're at now is directly located in a large State Park, so there are 6,000+ acres to ride in. If she could find something like that I am sure it would make the anticipated move much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks