• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Networking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
We just ordered a new 2.0 Ghz P4 to run our appraisal software and act as the server. We will be keeping our 450 Mhz P3 and networking it peer-to-peer for Judy's machine.

The question I have is since the new machine will be running XP Pro and the 450 mhz machine is running Windows2000, can these two be networked together peer-to-peer for a time in order to transfer the programes/data etc. Or do they both have to be running the same OS in order to network?

We will ultimately change the OS on the 450mhz machine to XP Pro but do we have to do it before program/data transfer or can we transfer the programs/data and then change OS?

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Richard,

Maybe some of the techies and back this up, but I think it will work fine. I havent used 2000 (me) but I think there were some quirks with it. I think all most all of MS's OS's will network with each other on a peer to peer.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Richard,

You can run multiple OS on a network. My network has XP, Win2k, and Win98se on different machines.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Should not have any problems. With a peer to peer network, the computers are stand alone units, and only share the data files that you chose. If you are using a Unix system, then each desk unit is just a dummy running off the server.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
XP makes it pretty easy. I connected a P3 with Win98 and a P4 Dell with Win NT, to a P4 with XP. They're all different brands. The XP box takes care of internet connection sharing via the cablemodem, so all 3 are on line at the same time. No router needed, just a network hub switch, ethernet cards, and cable. The XP machine has to be on for the others to get online.

The only problem was I had to shut off the Norton Internet firewall on the XP machine. XP has a firewall built in. Make sure to update the new Box at the Microsoft site as soon as you set it up. Squash some bugs. :wink:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
As XP is 2000 with a Windows interface, there should be no problem. We run Me, 98, and XP on one network, with a 98 machine as the file server. Other than the fact that the 98 is a somewhat slow machine, no problems. Actually, it's easier installing on the XP machine than any other.

Roger

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Richard,

Should not be a problem on a Peer to Peer Network. However, one word of advice. Before you do anything back up your data. You never know when the gremlins might strike.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks