• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New And Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean J

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I have been aspired for many years now to become a Residential Appraiser. What led me to this was doing 3 years in Property Management for a major Realty Company working for an Apartment Complex as a Leasing Professional. Achieving high success in this industry, I still found myself wanting to do Appraising. I am only 3 classes away from my Bachelors of Economics, knowing that it is required to have a Bachelors for Certified Residential Appraiser. Also I've read all of the USPAP already and am highly interested.

Hopefully I can find a mentor that would take me on in the Tampa, FL area. I am highly diligent in researching markets, anything to do with numbers, and interacting with people on a regular basis. I strive to do honest work and to the best of my ability. I am very outgoing and willing to do what it takes to achieve goals at all times.I would like to learn as much as possible from a great mentor and be able to help them succeed as well along the way. At the same time, making myself an asset would be highly motivating for myself and for whoever is teaching me. I am a strong believer in what goes around comes around and would like to embrace this.

Also if anyone can give me any words of encouragement , advice, or education to pursue it would be highly appreciated without doubt. If I have to get out there and make phone calls, there is no problem for me in doing this, however I don't want to harass any of you good hard working Appraisers out there with unneeded calling.

If anyone would be interested in viewing my Resume or discussing this with me, for mentor-ship or for advice I would have no problem in anyway in providing and conversing. Also this is a great forum and I have enjoyed reading the many things all the members have offered, and advice on here.

Thank you for reading my post.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
You sound terrific! I wish I were in need of a trainee but I am not.

Since you are getting a degree in economics, I'd aim higher and try for the ST General license...you can still appraise residential of course with that license. They may be more apt to be hiring as well since fees are better. Advice I'd give...join Appraisal Institute, and be willing to relocate (if possible) for a very good job training situation. You can always move back at some future point in time. The Appraisal Institute has an employment board online open to public so you can search it see what is going on and where. Also Monster .com other general job headhunter boards, or govt work if an appraisal office is taking people on.

Sean J

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I appreciate your post. Would you still recommend joining an Association before finding a mentor? From what I have been hearing it seems that getting a mentor is the first step and then completing the education is the next step. It seems I could have some of the basics completed and still not even get an opportunity unless luck of the draw. Is this true? I have read many posts that say to save money and to get a mentor and then go forward.

Also would a company/mentor pay for relocation costs? I am in a good situation now where I can easily work a job for low pay and be successful, I don't feel this would be the case if I moved.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Sean, welcome to the Forum! :beer:

Although I'm not necessarily looking for a trainee at this time, I'd be happy to talk to you regarding appraising or maybe even have you come along on an inspection. I'm just across the Bay from you (based on your profile location and post).

It sounds like you've done your homework as far as what it takes to get into this field (i.e. Bachelor's requirement, classes, etc) It's a long road and one that takes time!

Since you're new to the forum, you don't have Private Message privileges. If you'd like to talk more about it, send me an email. It's my screen name @ yahoo dot com

Sean J

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Thank you for the welcome, I sent you an email bnmappraisal. I hope that you have received it.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I appreciate your post. Would you still recommend joining an Association before finding a mentor? From what I have been hearing it seems that getting a mentor is the first step and then completing the education is the next step. It seems I could have some of the basics completed and still not even get an opportunity unless luck of the draw. Is this true? I have read many posts that say to save money and to get a mentor and then go forward.
Also would a company/mentor pay for relocation costs? I am in a good situation now where I can easily work a job for low pay and be successful, I don't feel this would be the case if I moved.

I am not a member of Appraisal Institute but plan on joining this year. I think I would have been better off joining years ago for the contacts and working toward the SRA designation.. The point of joining ( around $350) is to gain access to contacts with a possible mentor, also just the fact you joined ( and hopefully will take some courses ) sets you apart . Again, I highly recommend getting the commercial license as the residential end of the field has been battered with fees, AMC's and threat from technology. I can't speak for if a company would pay relocation fees, but imo if you find a good job/training situation in another state , or another county/area of Florida, it is worth going for. Best of luck!

Sean J

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I am not a member of Appraisal Institute but plan on joining this year. I think I would have been better off joining years ago for the contacts and working toward the SRA designation.. The point of joining ( around $350) is to gain access to contacts with a possible mentor, also just the fact you joined ( and hopefully will take some courses ) sets you apart . Again, I highly recommend getting the commercial license as the residential end of the field has been battered with fees, AMC's and threat from technology. I can't speak for if a company would pay relocation fees, but imo if you find a good job/training situation in another state , or another county/area of Florida, it is worth going for. Best of luck!

I feel if this is the route I should go about doing it. I would be better off first getting my RE License and earning some money the easy way, and then pursue Appraisal. I would like a direct route into Appraising however it seems very hard. Don't worry it may get delayed but I won't stop trying. It seems going back to things I have wanted is in my nature. Hopefully someone will come along my way that will take me on, or if I can find someone on my own.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Welcome Sean. You'll find some of your greatest learning will come from this forum. So read, verify and learn. Never be afraid to ask a question or to chime in....just make sure you have thick skin and a fireproof suit. We tend to be an opinionated bunch of guys.
JGrant is our token woman :D

Last edited:

Sean J

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
We are all human, that is for sure. I have read many of the posts. This is why I am even more engaged. I cannot tell you how many applications I have done just trying to get my foot into RE. I got into Property Management and that was good training I did it for 3 years. I find myself still at the same place that I was before that 3 years. Still wanting to go Appraising, I just need opportunity. United States is known to be the land of opportunity, so I have faith that eventually I will get my chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks