• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Certified Appraisal Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEMOGrad

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
I've been reading some of the other posts about the new exam and thought I would let you know of my experience....

I failed my first attempt. Here in Alabama it is an 8 hour exam broken down into two 4 hour sessions. You get 30 minutes for lunch in between. There are 82 questions on each part, although they state that only 75 count. The problem is you don't know WHICH 75 they are counting. I DID get my results as soon as I finished.

I squeezed in under the wire on the old education requirements in December. The problem is, the new exam tests on the new requirements of 300 education hours, not the old 180 hours (I have about 185).

I find some of the other posts about people claiming to finish the new exam in less than an hour unbelievable. NO WAY! The exam is very challenging and some of the math problems are very time consuming as they require multiple calculations.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
This was moved to the current location because the Test area is not about tests but rather:

Test Forum
Put your test posts here, play around with the software, get used to it etc.
Note: Posts in this forum will not increase your post count.

toddmallard

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
You already failed the new test question #1, Should I be an appraiser? yes/no.

Only kidding. Our test in Fla is hard but not 8 hours. I think that you need to contact your board. here in Fla if you didn't pass the test for the licence in the time allowed than the new educational requirements go into effect.

Am I right Dennis B.?

SEMOGrad

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Mr. Mallard.

I am attempting to pass the exam for the General Certification. I am already Licensed.

I met all of the requirements to sit for the General Exam before the new requirements kicked in. Obviously that was sufficient as they gave me the letter I needed to sit for the exam.

I believe there is a time limit (2 years I think), in which I have to pass the exam. If I can't pass it by then I will have to meet the new education requirements before I can take it again.

reviewer

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I took the exam for Florida - I was trying to get a GC by reciprocity but there have been some problems.

I took it late in May. They budget 8 hours for it (Pearson testing center does) but in reality, it's about 6 hours. And yes, it's 82 questions per part, 2 parts. I think I finished in about 4-ish hours.

I have an MAI, an MBA, and I studied my gorgeous....self....off for it. I'm glad I did. I could not have passed it without studying.

I was also required to take the 4-hour Florida Law supplemental exam. Again, the 4-hours pertains to what Pearson has to set aside for you to test. The actual test is 3 hours allotted; I finished in about an hour.

I spoke to someone on the AQB about 2 years ago about the exam. He was very specific that they intended the test to be hard, and that an experienced appraiser should have to study for it to pass it.

Jamice4u2

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I passed the Certified General Test in California.

I've been reading some of the other posts about the new exam and thought I would let you know of my experience....

I failed my first attempt. Here in Alabama it is an 8 hour exam broken down into two 4 hour sessions. You get 30 minutes for lunch in between. There are 82 questions on each part, although they state that only 75 count. The problem is you don't know WHICH 75 they are counting. I DID get my results as soon as I finished.

I squeezed in under the wire on the old education requirements in December. The problem is, the new exam tests on the new requirements of 300 education hours, not the old 180 hours (I have about 185).

I find some of the other posts about people claiming to finish the new exam in less than an hour unbelievable. NO WAY! The exam is very challenging and some of the math problems are very time consuming as they require multiple calculations.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you.

You are correct the test is very hard I used all of the 8 hours to pass the test. Read the whole book "the appraisal of real estate" from the appraisal institute, and then goto to the georgia appraiser's website for practice test questions, finally study the hell out of USPAP!!!!

Pray to God to pass the test and believe your prayers. If you don't have a relationship with God then get one. You will need all the inspiration and hope to pass this test.

Good luck, don't complain search for different study materials, and access your weaknesses from your test results and master your weaknesses. Good luck with you AG license. I am still awaiting my license in California the state of California are reviewing my samples.

appraizer76

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
just took new state license exam in GA, and yes it was tough. i was told license and CR exams are no difference. got lucky i have passed. good luck to all of you if your taking the new exam.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
I am attempting to pass the exam for the General Certification. I am already Licensed.

I met all of the requirements to sit for the General Exam before the new requirements kicked in. Obviously that was sufficient as they gave me the letter I needed to sit for the exam.

I believe there is a time limit (2 years I think), in which I have to pass the exam. If I can't pass it by then I will have to meet the new education requirements before I can take it again.

TWO YEARS? Good lord, we only get six months here in Oregon and it takes two months to get a damn test date!

JCONNOR3

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Funny story about the General test back in the day. I had been appraising for about 15 years when certification came along. The first groups of us were typically MAI's and candidates with many years in the business. They were setting the test up to see where the groups fell in passing versus failing. Basically making the test up for each group based upon the pass fail ratio of the last group.

Being the lucky ******* I am I fell in line behind a group that had a 90% pass rate. Well you can imagine the next round. It was a bear. IN my immediate vicinity in the test facility I had two MAI's I had known for years and they were both instructors for the Institute. During the entire exam I could hear each exclaim...."what the f"? It was tense and there were feet shuffling during the whole exam.

My first question was to estimate the budget for the county based upon the millage rate and the total value of the tax base. I was to also calculate the budget for next year based upon certain parameters. What the f? In all my years I had never even considered such a situation. Further, I had 100 questions and I think it was 4-6 hours to complete them. After the first 3 hours I had answered 7 questions, all math calculations.

I looked at the clock and the balance of the test and went into full panic mode. Fortunately the balance of the exam was fairly straight forward. I finished up at the same time as the guys around me. I walked outside and looked one of the MAI's in the face and asked " what do you think T---?" He looked at me and froze, bent over and threw up all over the sidewalk. Well we were all on the floor with that and I knew we had all had the same experience. Oh, I passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks