• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

New Computer Horsepower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Well, I'm finally going to break down and upgrade my old 2000 model Dell computer. It's getting so slow, and I know I am due a crash someday.

I bought a new laptop a couple of years ago, so I could use Aurora, but I am still using Athena because my laptop doens't have enough RAM.....or at least that is what I am told.

So, before ordering my new desktop, I am open to suggestions as to how much horsepower I need. I am trying to run my appraisal business, my ranch and be a beta tester, all on the same unit.

What say you?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
New computer

Ok, so there aren't any Alamode tech guys lurking on this site today? :)

Maybe later,

Rick

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
An 8 year old computer?
Doubtless ready for the retirement home.
Basics are:
Anything "dual-core" - either Intel or AMD
3-4 Gigs of RAM
500 GB hard drive
No matter what you buy, you're going to feel like you just got a new Sports Car.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I bought a new old Dell, Windows XP, about 2 months ago at a Micro Center computer store based on info from an AF poster. Great deal, great price, all the bells and whistles I wanted for 750 bucks.

TC

Dan/Fla

Professional Status
State
Florida
You may want to talk to someone in your area that will build you what you want. Or go to nearest college and talk to one of the kids in Computer Engineering program and have them build what you need. Why pay for a lot of extras that you do not need or want and you can go to Newegg or something an order just the items you need. I was lucky I an able to get some of my tuition money I spend on my son back. He is in his last year for his computer engineering degree and he built the system I have..

What all it has in it, I do not know, I do know I have 2 processors, a bunch of Ram, 3 large Hard drives. 1 HD for basic computer and internet stuff 1 HD dedicated just for the Business form program & files, so no worries about is a virus gets into it, & will not get into work files and 1 internal HD for backup I also have an external HD for backup also. External is to get and run if there is a fire and or disaster or something. Mine is set to run up to 4 monitors, but I did not like that many; I use 2. One for the form and the other for research. I have only the programs I need installed.

I also recommend getting a bunch of fans, installed. Mine stays on all time and I do not want it to over heat. I think my son told me I have 5 fans other that the Processor fans. Hope this helps.

hambone

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
You may want to talk to someone in your area that will build you what you want. Or go to nearest college and talk to one of the kids in Computer Engineering program and have them build what you need. Why pay for a lot of extras that you do not need or want and you can go to Newegg or something an order just the items you need. I was lucky I an able to get some of my tuition money I spend on my son back. He is in his last year for his computer engineering degree and he built the system I have..

What all it has in it, I do not know, I do know I have 2 processors, a bunch of Ram, 3 large Hard drives. 1 HD for basic computer and internet stuff 1 HD dedicated just for the Business form program & files, so no worries about is a virus gets into it, & will not get into work files and 1 internal HD for backup I also have an external HD for backup also. External is to get and run if there is a fire and or disaster or something. Mine is set to run up to 4 monitors, but I did not like that many; I use 2. One for the form and the other for research. I have only the programs I need installed.

I also recommend getting a bunch of fans, installed. Mine stays on all time and I do not want it to over heat. I think my son told me I have 5 fans other that the Processor fans. Hope this helps.

+1

I will never buy another computer from a large retailer.

Custom build is the way to go. Local support and usually a better price.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I always have my computers locally built. I have been using the same computer for 5 years now. It was a top of the line fully maxed out computer when it was new. I tweak it from time to time and keep my registry clean, optimize it and it runs just fine. You may want to invest in a few cleaner programs such as RegCure and do some simple maintenance on your computer. Get a second or third hard drive and move some of your data and programs to the other drives. Then defragment your original drive. You will be amazed at how fast it will make your old system run. You may find that you do not need a new computer after all.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
RSW has a VERY valid point.
Most peole don't even do basic maintenence on their machines.

A new drive is a good idea... there are ony two types of hard drive
1) Those that have failed
2) Those that are getting ready to fail

Clone the drive, Defrag it, clean the registry, defrag again, then decide.

WORST possible case... you now own a nice backup drive.

Best case ... you've spent maybe $100, own a shiny new program, a new drive, a backup drive, and don't need to spend another $5-$700 on a new machine.

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
More horsepower!

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a new Dell machine. Man am I happy I did! I only spent $700 and I got dual core, 160 gig hard drive, 3 gig of RAM, 2.56 mhz processor, and a flat screen monitor. ( Part of the cost was some extra software I added.) Wow, you were right on the money Riick, I do feel like I got a new sports car. Didn't realize how slow my old Dell had become. It has an 80 gig hard drive and it was only half full.

I also bought an 8gig flash drive on sale at Staples for $29.95.What a neat tool! Been able to transfer a lot of files. Very simple process!

An IT friend of mine has been supervising, along with Alamode Tech Support. Thanks guys!! Fairly painless transfer of data from old unit to new one. My IT friend is going to take my old unit, clean it up and tweak it a little and make me a server, I think he called it, for my home and my home office. Seems like there is a computer in every room of the house these days. 7 at last count, what with my college age sons, my wife and the 3 computers in my office.

And, if you have never had a flat screen monitor, wow! You need one. My Alamode forms are huge and easy for my tired old eyes to see now. I love it.

Now, if only it had a beer dispenser. :new_all_coholic:

Thanks for the comments!

Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks