• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

New Computer Virus is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
A new virus is out and it is supposed to be nasty. "bugbear" Always comes as an attachment and normally it is 50668 bytes in size.

Go to http://support.sbcglobal.net for further info.

I just started new policy. 1. Delete all emails with attachments, unless I have been previously notified that I am being sent the attachment. 2. Always notify someone first that I will be sending them an email with an attachment.

The last virus we got cost me two days of work to get operational and used up an entire decades worth of profanity.

Terry

Jim Payne (SD)

Sophomore Member
Terry:

What did the Virus Attack? I am having problems with my MCS32 Software today with both of my computers... Just wondering if the Virus attacks Appraisal Software or... :?

Thanks For Replying!

Jim Payne (SD)

<span style='color:red'>"Just A Payne" :) </span>

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jim:
are you using the .zoo extentions? or .ACI... and are your file sizes under 5 meg...

Have a ACI tale (of woe) to tell if anyone cares. :roll:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Have a ACI tale (of woe) to tell if anyone cares.
Problems with ACI? 8O I'd like to hear if it can help me avoid any further woes of my won. Or if it just floats your boat. :wink:

What is the deal with the .zoo extension anyway? My files are usually around 1 Meg + or -.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
OK Lee remember you asked!

.zoo extention is the ACI ver 8.2 whoopie ding upgrade. You get to it off Options - Environment - Advanced then uncheck the save as v7X box in the window.

Zoo is a lot more stable, but slower to open and some other functions are tortuously s_l_o_w : but most importantly if you work with any of the national firms they mostly do NOT support the zoo format!!!

Zoo is particularly good at handling large format fiels without puking up: unfortunately it by itself seems to make the files larger: and you may run into ISP/Server limitations in attempting to e-mail! Even after running the file through Adobe to shrink it back down and going in an manually decreasing photo size :evil:

Which leads to the problem we ran into: On a HUD streamline refi the owner is already screaming about 'issues' and the report wasn't even completed yet :roll: She had been informed that she had an excess land situation where the typical lot is 50 x 100 and she was wanting us to consider the entire 5 acre urban site :roll: no can do. Anyway... Shot a LOT of 'picture is worth a thousand words' to cover the tail section.

IF you put the freaking picture into ACI, and then delete shrink or otherwise alter the photos... they still hog space in the file size 8O :!: :?: could NOT figure out why the darn files wasn't shrinkning down to magangeable (was over 5 meg)

Extreme measures up to and including removing ALL the phots and license and other ?non-essentials' still were not decreasing the file total size~ enough to ship this now overdue file out the door :evil:

Final solution: Create new file, export all the word pages, then insert a photo at a time til the file 'sort of' maxed out at 3 meg OH we are clever we are!!!

BUT WAIT 8O : final review indicates that while all the forms came over in the export process: SOME OF THE ADDENDUMS DIDN'T

Drop one wing, run in circles - scream and shout_!!

I beleive it was Terril who mentioned "using a years worth of profanity on a single issue". This was our blue air scene :evil: .

ISP pointed finger at software, software blamed end user, end user said software, software said ISP, and round and round we went.

Jim Payne (SD)

Sophomore Member
LeAnn:

I'm using MCS 8.01 Software and changed Printers from a HP IIID (Yeah--I know it's old, but 11 years of service :( ) to a Canon ir1600-2000 Series Printer/Copier :) . Installed it on Thursday, October 3, 2002 and on Tuesday, October 8th, 2002, I couldn't get the Form to Print :( . All that would show up would be boxes (small rectangular type) where the Form Wording would be. :cry: The Typed Words in the Fields were OK.

Talked with 1 PDS on Tuesday Evening and there was nothing she could do to help :cry: . Called yesterday at 11:58 AM, waited in the Office over the noon hour (to no avail :x ) and PDS called at 2:50 PM (CDT) and we were on the phone for till 4:35 PM. The Guy was really helpful and understanding :) , but had to talk with the Programers about the problem :evil: . Haven't heard from them as of 11AM CDT. :(

So--what's this with .zoo extensions? :? Never heard of that...

Let me know at your convenience! :D

THANKS!

Jim Payne (SD)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:? WOW !
Jim, sounds ugly... kinda seems like it would have to be a driver or ACI issue though: if it is printing your typed entries and only cobbling the form words....

Re: zoo see my longwinded post above in response to Lee or

http://appraisersforum.com/forums/viewtopi...p?p=29486#29486

Ah well another day in modern life, computers are great when they work.

Please keep us posted on the solution to your print problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks