• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New data you had better include in your reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I apoligize in advance to those already using this data.
In a recent class this site was shared with the class by the instructor. Oh yeah and golf courses, not tracked by the EPA, are major sources of chemicals (i.e. pesticides, insectisides, and fertalizer).

Go to this site.
http://www.epa.gov/enviro/wme/

Put in the state and zip of your current subject. Check all the boxes to the left. I dare you!!

how many of these boxes qualify as "apparent adverse environmental conditions (hazardous wastes, toxic substances, etc.) present in the improvements, on the site, ON IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY OF THE SUBHECT PROPERTY"

My reports will now include an extra map page.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Frederick, what an excellent link! I LOVE this forum!
and am very fond of you :lol: :wink:

My EPA/Hazmat link was old and feeble and still in existance 8O
and not nearly as useful!

(Had a report last week in which I needed this site, instead fumbled through the State site identification instead and found it not NEARLY as helpful wound up defaulting to the paper list and hand mapping it :evil: ).

Interesting graphics, but I found they only ID's about half the Gas/Service stations. Wonder what the criteria are?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Cool site.
It picked up the water works plant in our town. But like Lee Ann said, not the gas station at the four way stop. :?

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Thanks for the post.

Comprehensive site. I'll pulled up to hazardous sites--I am going to check them out to see how accurate this is.

I like the flood plain look on the fly.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Yeah, I dont know how comprehensive it is or how current. Please note there is a Name, Phone #, and e-mail link to our civil servant providing and maintaining this thing. Lets all drop her/him a line.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Frederick,

Great link. Found some stuff that I didn't know about

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
Good site, Federick!

Here's one from HUD:

http://www.HUD.gov/offices/cio/emaps/index.cfm

They may be using the data from the EPA site but it's displayed a little differently. Also, it provides a pretty detailed report on each facility if you need some sleepy-time reading! (Or, if you have a geologist for a son who explains it all to you, you can also become scared!)

I tried comparing the two sites but came up with different results in six tries. That could be due to the way they're updated. Also, I try to verify the actual existence of any potential hazard before I include it in a report since some of the sites may no longer exist (but what did they leave behind?).

Again, thanks, Frederick!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Ohh darn..and just when I thought it was safe to drink the beer!

As for me, I don't think I am going to change from "readily observable" at the subject property. I also include "I am not an expert (and don't intend to be) at identifying environmental hazards. Client is advised to consult an expert if this is of concern to you".

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Forgot to say...."Thank you Fred". It is an interesting site and I have included it in my favorites.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Mike,
I will defer to your experiance, but I thought we were required to report any such conditions not only in the improvements on on the site but in the vicinity. Now this may be a supplemental guideline. If the sight is significant enough to be on the EPA map it is good enough for me to note. Furthermore, by including it my report does not make me an expert only that I used due diligence in completeing my assignment. Now most of these sights will have little or no effect on value as all comps (in my markets) will be located proximate to the same sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks