• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

New digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmilby

Freshman Member
I have just experienced fatal problems with my "old" trusty kodak DC215 camera. I never really liked it but it was cheap.

I haven't had time to do any research on new cameras and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the cameras appraisers within this board are using and what new features are available.

I will have to say that I work in a "rural" small town market that consists of a majority of improvements a good distance from the closest road. I would like to have a new camera with a good optical zoom so I could "reach out" and take some pictures. The camera mentioned above didn't have a very good zoom.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
I still use the DC 200 primarily. I have invested in a Panasonic 300x digital. It is a video camera that uses VHS-C and has a digital camera also. It really does 300X zoom, with a digital doubler that gives you digital 600x, in video and 26X for the digital camera. I have been shot at twice, losing one windshield, and now if I have doubts I can get a long way off and take the pictures. I have installed a TV interface card in my computer so I can do a screen capture from the video. I also use the camera to record properties and convert the video to Mpeg video. I then write the video to a mini CD along with a copy of the appraisal and all my notes that I scan. I put both a PDF copy of the original as well as copying the appraisal file, I use Wintotal.

My camera is 2 years old so there are probably better cameras out now, I paid over $600 for my camera and I saw it at Circuit City for $250 recently. I know that there are video cameras that write directly to 3 inch cd's. I don't know if they do digital still or not.

Sorry i got long winded I hope this helps.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
My 215 broke a long time ago. It was that stupid battery pack clip. I used rubber bands for about 36 months and then after 12,000+ pictures it finally started to not focus very well. I really liked that 215.

Now I have canon A40. its a 2 megapixel which is overkill for appraising but I set it low res and can get over 700 pix on one 64 meg flash card.
Also, If I want to take high res pix of family and such I can. @ megpixel is plenty for that. This is a very good camera.

I chose a camera that could use the compact flash card, because I had 2 cards already(saved money) . Also, I had double a rechargeables with charger so that was a need also. (saved more money)

So the A40 was for me, My brother has the less expensive A30 or is it A20 and it really would be great for appraising also.

P.s. I have not had a problem getting rear view shots of any houses yet.

Eric Boggs

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I was on CNet last night as I too am shopping for a new digicam. At CNet, they rate the Canon S200 as a very good buy, for around $250.00 The S300 has a 3X optical and a regular lense zoom. It goes for $50. more.

Regards, Eric

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I have had my Cannon Power Shot S200 Digital ELPH for four months and have been very pleased with it. Had quite a lengthly discussion about it here on the forum about a month or two ago. It does take decent photos of houses a way down the road. I bought a second rechargeable battery and a 128mg Compact Flash card. The flash card is usable with my Kodak 215, which doesn't always focus right and my Polaroid which takes terrible photos. So I have them and extra smaller compact flash cards as a backup--if I am stranded out in the desert and my ELPH dies. With the 128 card, I haven't erased any photos yet, so have 1,082 photos on the camera, and I can still take 762 more! It saves them in groups of 100, so eventually I will erase the oldest group of 100--after I am sure it is saved on my computer and zip drives in about 4 different places. I reuse comparable photos very, very frequently due to the limited number of sales, actives, pendings, withdrawns, expireds available.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jt:

We finally replaced our DC 40's with the DC 5000 (currently running REAL cheap on e-bay)

The telephoto and macro photo lenses that fit the 40 happen to screw right on to the front of the 5000, giving QUITE a boost to those 'long shots'. Really, REALLY cheap on e-bay :D

The 5000 is heavy, and a little awkward if you have small hands, but appears nearly indestructable in the somewhat rough useage to which it gets put to test around here.

The polarized lens protector adds a little safety measure also (good idea)

My spouse has after over a year (two?) of use finally managed to drop his enough that the lens tube is a little wobbly but the motor still runs it in and out...

Neither advocating nor disuading, just informing!

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I just picked up a DC215 gold millenium 2000, new in box w/warranty and all accessories on ebay for $138 + $10 shipping. You can buy battery pack clips on ebay for less than $10.
It's worth a visit for those of you who have a favorite oldie camera or are on a budget. Many of these cameras are refurbished or never used and sold through manufacturer clearing houses on the internet.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I have had a DC215 millenium and a DC240. I like them both. The problem with these is that every time I have dropped one, the battery door has broken. That is a cheap fix, except for when the plastic clasp on the inside of the door breaks. They are very good, otherwise.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Andrew:

Glad you mentioned the rubber bands, now I can bring an old DC 215 out of retirement and get some good use out of it and save some $$$$.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I have a DC210 and DC240. Both have been good cameras. Had been mainly using the 240, but at about 11,000 pics, dropped it in the rain, batteries popped out. I dried it off and put batts in, thot it was working, but the pics come out super dark, so I guess that's it for that one. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks