• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New HUD RESPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Went to the HUD site and scanned the proposed changes to RESPA statements designed to "protect" the consumer from unfair mark-up of closing costs.

While I admit I currently did not read each and every word, the new changes seem to be tailor-made for companies like LSI, ValueIT, and others.

My reading of the regulations seems to indicate that a bank or mortgage company must disclose how much they pay for closing services such as a credit report or appraisal and any mark up. However, if the services are "bundled", they must disclose THAT amount, not each and every specific service.

HUD is convinced that disclosure will create competition and therefore lower costs to the consumer.

I believe the truth is that there will be downward pressure on the "parts" such as title search, appraisal, etc. You all know the line: "We can guarantee you 1,000 orders per year for $40.00 per order".

Then, the "bundler" charges the lender a set amount which includes a $300.00 appraisal fee.

The consumer does not "win". The lender wins, as many of the large banks and mortgage companies already own all or part of a nationwide servicing firm.

How far back does the disclosure reach??? Will the consumer wind up paying $300.00 for a $30.00 AVM??

Please let me know if I am letting my imagination get the best of me.

Site is:

http://www.HUD.gov/ofices/ogc/respa.cfm

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Barbara,

Nope, you got it figured right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks