• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Bottiger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kansas
I just forged ahead in the tech world and got a laptop. Does anyone have any experience with remote access, what are the best ones to use? Also wireless cards, I guess thats what they are called. I could use some help here. Thanks

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
What make, model and operating system did you get?

Allen Bottiger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Kansas
I got a dell latitude (used) with windows xp.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Remote access, use Microsoft terminal server. Best of all its free! It will require the use of a "Static IP address" for the non traveling computer (server, aka your desktop)

Allen Bottiger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Kansas
Brain...static ip address???thats greek to me...is microsoft terminal server the name of the program???

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
You might want to explain what you mean by 'remote access.'

Could mean one thing to you, but to the techies, it's more detailed.

Does the laptop have a built-in wi-fi antenna? If so, you can get on the internet anyplace that has wi-fi access (either free or paid subscription).

If you mean accessing your desktop machine from the field with your laptop, that's entirely different....and I'll leave that discussion up to the techies!

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Allen,

I switched to Lap-top only about five years ago and glad I did. They are much more dependable and useful then a PC in appraising. Back-ups systems for laptops are easy and the mobility is just wonderful. Transfering files from the Desktop PC to the laptop is not hard it is just a pain in the butt.

If you dont have a wireless card then you need to get one, they dont cost much and are easy to install. Directions are pretty good on major wireless cards.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I have a bluetooth plug in ($40 or less). I have a Motorola cell phone with bluetooth and $15 a month buys me ATT internet thru the Razor phone. So....download wireless.ATT connection manager from ATT then 'connect' the bluetooth device to your phone. The internet runs great and will work anywhere you have a cell signal.
Transfering files ...it is just a pain in the butt.
BTW, bluetooth your desktop and transfer files without hooking up wires..

Allen Bottiger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Kansas
By remote access I was refering to working on my office computer while at another location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks